Walking inn to inn in Mid April?

Walking inn to inn in Mid April?

Author
Posted Thu 11 Jul 2024 12:15 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 11 Jul 2024 12:13 PM Visits: 3
Greetings!
My husband & I are planning a self guided walking tour next April. We are traveling from the USA, so have about 7-8 days to walk/hike. We are okay with cool, rainy weather. We prefer it over heat/humidity! We are considering the Dingle Way but-we are wondering if anyone has any other recommendations for walks in April. Also, my maiden name is McGarvey, I would be interested in areas around Donegal, where my grandparents are from. We love hiking, history & culture!
Looking forward to your replies,
Diane
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 12 Jul 2024 11:01 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)Community Expert (385 reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 30 Sep 2024 8:55 AM Visits: 3.1K
Hi David & Diane, 

It is great to hear you are looking to visit us in April for a walking/ hiking vacation. 

The Dingle Way is a great choice, with coastal views, ancient stone forts, and interesting villages to explore, which can also be completed within your time frame. There are other options to also look at, such as the Wicklow Way that showcases the Wicklow Mountains, Glendalough monastic site, rolling hills, and forests. The Kerry Way and Beara Way are also worth researching, though take between 9-10 days. 

Have you been able to conduct some research into your family tree to determine which part of Donegal your Grandparents were from before I can advise you on some recommendations? Members on our Ireland Family History section may be able to point you in the right direction.

Cheers,

Cathaoir

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 16 Jul 2024 11:45 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 30
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:14 PM Visits: 77.2K
Hi David & Diane,

How nice that you are planning a hiking holiday in Ireland!

Have you had the time to look into the multi-day hikes that Cathaoir suggested? In case you are looking at the practical side of things already, I hyperlinked some of the trails websites above and you can also find detailed maps on the Sport Ireland website.

You can usually find accommodation providers along the trail (B&B's and hotels) and those can sometimes arrange the transfer of luggage for you to your next place of rest. Here's an example for the Dingle Way

Let us know if you need anything else! Planning a multi day hiking holiday can take some preparation.

Talks soon,
Antoine