Drivers over 75

Drivers over 75

Author
Posted Thu 18 Jul 2024 2:45 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 9
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 18 Jul 2024 3:54 PM Visits: 200
I understand drivers over 75 years in the Republic of Ireland are now required to have a doctor’s letter confirming their fitness to drive. I live in Northern Ireland, and have held a full UK driving licence for more than 50 years.
Does this new rule about over 75s apply to me? I will be driving to the Republic in September en route to Rosslare for the ferry to Cherbourg. I want to know if this letter from my doctor is required. My car insurance covers me for driving in EU countries, including the Republic of Ireland.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 18 Jul 2024 3:41 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (373 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (373 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (373 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (373 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (373 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (373 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (373 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (373 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (373 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 29 Aug 2024 3:09 PM Visits: 858
Hi Valerie,

It's a good question as, in the Republic of Ireland, it is necessary to submit a medical report form if you are above the age of 75 years. Those ages 75 and older who are planning to rent a car in Ireland may also be asked to provide a letter from their doctor confirming that they are fit to drive.

However, I am not entirely sure if you, living in Northern Ireland with a UK driving licence, are required to have a doctor's letter confirming fitness to drive your own car. I would encourage you to contact the Road Safety Authority in the Republic of Ireland as they will be best placed to answer you.

Regards,
Eoin