McCourt history

McCourt history

Author
Posted Thu 25 Jul 2024 3:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 7
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 28 Jul 2024 3:40 PM Visits: 36
I hope this finds you well. My name is Tyler McCourt, and I am currently researching my family history, particularly focusing on the origins and history of the McCourt surname. I am reaching out to you in hopes that you might have some knowledge or resources that could help me learn more about the background of this name. From what I have gathered, the McCourt surname is of Irish origin, deriving from the Gaelic "Mac Cuarta," meaning "son of Cuarta." I understand that it is associated with regions such as County Down and County Armagh in Northern Ireland. However, I am eager to learn more about its historical context, notable individuals, or any significant events associated with the McCourt family.If you have any information, resources, or can direct me to someone who might be able to assist me further, I would greatly appreciate it. Any insights into how the surname has evolved or its geographical distribution over the years would be incredibly valuable to my research.Thank you very much for your time and assistance. I look forward to your response.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 25 Jul 2024 6:49 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 25 Jul 2024 7:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
The surname McCourt is found in all the provinces in Ireland but especially Ulster, particularly in Counties Antrim, Armagh and Monaghan. 

McCourt, in Gaelic Mac Cuarta or Mac Cuairt, was an Oriel sept, which was based in southwest Armagh. The ancient territory of Oriel included Counties Armagh and Monaghan and parts of south Down, Louth and Fermanagh. The parish of Cappagh, near Dungannon, County Tyrone was originally in Gaelic Ceapach Mhic Cuarta.

A good starting point for records of Counties Armagh and Down is RootsIreland at https://www.rootsireland.ie/