I have Scot Irish in me

I have Scot Irish in me

Author
Posted Thu 25 Jul 2024 5:09 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)Gaining Respect (112 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 11
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 31 Jul 2024 11:25 PM Visits: 108
I have relatives have are Scot Irish. I don't know which ones though. I do genealogy and still learning.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 25 Jul 2024 7:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 25 Jul 2024 7:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
The term Scots-Irish refers to people whose ancestors, often Presbyterian, originated in Scotland and settled, during the 17thcentury, in Ireland in the nine northern counties of the Province of Ulster: Antrim, Armagh, Down, Fermanagh, Londonderry and Tyrone in Northern Ireland and Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan in the Republic of Ireland. They are also called Scotch-Irish or Ulster-Scots. Today, it is a matter of personal preference to refer to these people as Scotch-Irish, Scots-Irish or Ulster-Scots; in Northern Ireland they are generally referred to as Ulster-Scots and in the United States as either Scotch-Irish or Scots-Irish. 

100,000 Scottish migrants settled in Ireland during the 17th century Plantation of Ulster, and between 1717 and the beginning of the War of American Independence in 1776, 250,000 Scots-Irish immigrants arrived in the British Colonies in North America. Today, the numbers of  Americans with Scots-Irish roots could be as high as 20 million as many ‘Scotch-Irish’ will have recorded their ancestral origins as Irish.

The following websites will be of interest to those with Scots-Irish ancestry:

1. 'The Scots in Ulster' website developed by the Ulster Historical Foundation, https://ulsterhistoricalfoundation.com/the-scots-in-ulster/home

2, ‘Ulster Settlers’ database, described as a ‘research tool for the study of 17th-century Ulster and its inhabitants,’ can be examined at https://ulster-settlers.clericus.ie/

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 29 Jul 2024 4:20 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)Community Expert (9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 30
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 10 hours ago Visits: 77K
Thank you so much, as always, for this wealth of information about the Ulster-Scots and their migration history, Brian! You are an invaluable asset to our community.

I hope what you shared will help Cathie learn more about her roots.