This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Hogans of Tipperary

Hogans of Tipperary

Author
Posted Fri 29 Jul 2016 10:34 AM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 8:42 AM Visits: 0
Ireland Family History Expert Session with The Irish Family History Centre:https://www.facebook.com/Irela...
We host Expert Sessions regularly on theFacebook page so keep an eye out for the next one! 

Question from Katerina Potere:            
I can’t find from where in Ireland Patrick Hogan, my great great grandfather, immigrated, and the oral history is that he was born in Tipperary. I know he was on the passenger list into Philadelphia, Pa. April 11, 1851 on ship Atalanta with widowed mother Margaret, 42. On the same passenger list, there are two other Hogan children mentioned in a different section as “boy” and “girl” – John Hogan, 13, and Bridget Hogan, 12. On census reports, I cannot find this family in the first census after their arrival, but I can find Patrick Hogan in the 1870 and 1880 census with his new family. In Catholic Parish Registers in Ireland, I searched for Patrick Hogan with mother’s name Margaret, and no luck. However, I did find a Patrick Hogan, Baptism, Jan. 30, 1833 St. Andrew’s Dublin City, Dublin and a Baptism August 21, 1836, Cashel, Tipperary. I also looked for a John and Bridget Hogan and matched them up with their birth dates: John Hogan, born 1838, and Bridget Hogan, born 1839, same parents: John and Margaret Hogan. Is Patrick related to them?

Answer:
Hi Katerina. Hogan is a common name throughout Munster and south Leinster as well as in Dublin in the nineteenth century, and mostly seen in Tipperary. It is like looking for a needle in a haystack without any documentary links. However, there may be other US records that might help, and I recommend you look at these for each of the names you have identified to date. Look for state census records in the US in addition to the federal ones, and also civil war enlistment and pension records, if it is known that your ancestor were involved. If you have a church record for the 1866 marriage, this may also contain additional birth or origin details. Join our online community for free at http://irishfamilyhistorycentre.com