Tracing your Irish Ancestors: A Three-step Guide

Tracing your Irish Ancestors: A Three-step Guide

Author
Posted Tue 12 Nov 2019 10:02 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello David,

It's very exciting you are starting your own journey into your Irish ancestry. :) Feel free to start your own new thread where people can reply with helpful information and tips by clicking on the 'Start a discussion' button on the upper right side of the page. 

We'd love to see what we can do to help you find out more about your Mayo roots! 

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 12 Nov 2019 10:43 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi David 

To date, only the county-based genealogy centres in Ireland have attempted any large scale, systematic indexing of church registers in their localities, and these can be searched at https://www.rootsireland.ie/ . For example, the County Mayo database, compiled by North Mayo Heritage Centre and South Mayo Family Research Centre, contains pre-1900 registers of 55 Roman Catholic parishes, 23 Church of Ireland parishes and 9 Presbyterian congregations. 

As each county-based genealogy centre, whose records are accessible at https://www.rootsireland.ie/, employs a genealogist, with knowledge of both family history sources and local history, it makes sense to contact them to see if they can assist you; for example, to answer queries you may have about place names, surname origins, sources to search, record offices to visit, or research recommendations.   

Contact details for North Mayo Heritage Centre and South Mayo Family Research Centre can be found at http://www.rootsireland.ie/mayo-genealogy   
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 12 Nov 2019 11:09 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
David 

Hi I never got to Ireland like I was suppose to. My granddaughter was born with a rare brain disorder so my trip has been put on hold but hoping to get there in 2020.  I am from New York and my great grandmother was Winifred Mellet daughter of Martin and Winifred Mellett. I just found her obituary and it stated she was from the Cong in County Mayo abt 1860 so I will be visiting that area when I do go.

Please let me know how you make out I can also be reached at patgov53@gmail.com. Enjoy your trip and safe travels.

Fondly, 
Patricia 
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 12 Nov 2019 7:55 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Patricia
Thank you for your quick reply, I am sorry to hear your granddaughter was born with a rare brain disorder and I hope all is going the best it can.
Thank you for giving me an head start on research, I'm also planning to meet my sister who did a few years research which will hopefully make my research a bit easier. The first thing I came across this week was Melletts emporium In Mayo which I'm sure you have also seen fascinating history and still Mellett family run
Kindest Regards
David
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 12 Nov 2019 8:00 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Brian
Thank you so much for your guidance
Regards
David
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 12 Nov 2019 8:07 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Melin
Many thanks I'll certainly use this service and really excited
Kind Regards
David
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 10 Jan 2020 2:32 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)Industry Member (39.6K reputation)
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Great News, more civil registers, i.e. the information that underpins birth, marriage and death certificates, have been added by Irish Government to its website https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

This means that you can now search, view, download and/or print scanned images of civil registers of Births from 1864 to 1919, Marriages 1845 to 1944 and Deaths 1878 to 1969.

Only images of civil death registers for period 1864 to 1877 to be added to make all 'historic' BMD records available to view online, free of charge! 
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 10 Jan 2020 4:23 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Brian
Thank you but when I try to get link it says bad host name
David
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 10 Jan 2020 5:50 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Derry~Londonderry
Sorry David

It is https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 9 Oct 2020 12:07 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Derry~Londonderry
Great News: Images of Civil death registers for the period 1871 to 1877 have now been added to IrishGenealogy.ie website. This now means that Irish birth certificates from 1864 -1919, marriage certificates from 1845-1944 (1921 for Northern Ireland) and death certificates from 1871-1969 (1921 for Northern Ireland) can be searched, viewed and downloaded, free of charge, by selecting 'Civil Records' tab at https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

This means that only civil death registers for period 1864-1870 remain to be added to provide free access to all historic civil birth, marriage and death registers.