Tracing your Irish Ancestors: A Three-step Guide

Tracing your Irish Ancestors: A Three-step Guide

Author
Posted Wed 3 Feb 2021 10:27 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Bob, 

That's fantastic news! 😀 I hope this leads to many more discoveries within your family tree, and we're only a message away if you ever have any other questions. 

Warmest wishes, 

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 16 Oct 2021 6:44 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 16 Oct 2021 6:59 PM Visits: 8
Need help with a US census record that gives  Abbedieux, County Green as the birthplace of my great grandmother, Anna Bacon, in 1836.
Abbeyleix, in County Laois, is the closest I can come to Abedieux. Could there be a "green" townland in Laois?
Was there ever a county nicknamed "Green"? (Yes, I know how absurd this sounds. I've been to Ireland. I wish they'd recorded something less obvious.)

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 17 Oct 2021 10:05 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)Community Expert (8.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 26
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 2 hours ago Visits: 76K
Hello Martha!

It's great that you have traced your Irish genealogy that far! This is indeed a bit complex.

I would suggest having a look at the church and civil records in Co. Laois to see if anything matches, using Abbeyleix or your great grandmother's birth name as a start. 

Please feel free to create your own thread on the forum so that other forum members can jump in as well.

I wish you the best of luck! 

Antoine
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 17 Feb 2022 12:41 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 1
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 17 Feb 2022 12:39 PM Visits: 1
Very helpful, thank you so much!

Nate
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 22 Apr 2022 7:45 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)Community Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 12 Dec 2022 11:14 AM Visits: 589
Wow, this resource is so insightful!

I have passed some of this information to my aunt who is tracking down our Irish heritage!

Thanks,
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 13 Jan 2023 4:37 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 14 Jan 2023 8:05 PM Visits: 7
Hello! I’m looking for my grandfathers family. He passed away when I was very little, but grew up listening to wonderful tales of him. My grandmother was still in touch with his family until her passing in 2009. My grandmother had an address book with all their information, but unfortunately my mom didn’t take care of it well and I can’t understand much in the book. If there is anyway for any help would be much appreciated. 

Here’s what I know. My grandfathers name is Patrick Thomas Duffy born 12/28/1914 I think in Mayo county area. I know he had 2 brothers Tommy and Johnny Duffy. His mothers name was Catherine (Mullen) and his father was Thomas Duffy. 
My grandmother told me that my cousins  Mary Kenny and her son Noel Kenny lived in Wexford county area as of 2008 , I believe. I think Noel was born around 1981-1982. 

I am finally able to take the trip my grandmother wanted to take me on. To see beautiful Ireland has been my dream my whole life. and was hoping to be able to at least visit the town or church my grandfather lived. 

Thank you in advance,
Dawn G. 

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 13 Jan 2023 5:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)Industry Member (39.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 Apr 2024 4:36 PM Visits: 1.8K
Hi Dawn

As all Irish birth certificates from 1864 to 1921 can be searched for and viewed free of charge at www.irishgenealogy.ie this would be a good starting point for your research.

This website shows that Thomas Patrick Duffy, son of Thomas Duffy and Catherine Mullen was born on 28 December 1914 in the townland of Tawneyna in the registrar's district of Lowpark in Swineford Poor Law Union, County Mayo. I suspect that Tawneyna refers to the townland of Tawnyinah (Lower, Middle and Upper) in Kilbeagh parish, County Mayo.

You may wish to consider contacting North Mayo heritage Centre if you require further assistance, contact details at http://www.rootsireland.ie/mayo-north-heritage-centre/ 

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 14 Jan 2023 8:08 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sat 14 Jan 2023 8:05 PM Visits: 7
Brian, 
 Thank you so much. You have helped immensely.  I was going in circles trying to find any information. I am definitely going to reach out to North Mayo heritage center. 
 I greatly appreciate what you have done. 
Thank you so much! 
-Dawn