I want to get away from it all! Where's the best rural escape for an Autumn getaway?

I want to get away from it all! Where's the best rural escape for an...

Author
Posted Fri 23 Sep 2016 12:53 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Getting away from it all is our speciality. Between countryside cottages, glamourous manors and wonderful B&Bs, there’s a whole lot to offer in the way of relaxing getaways, where you can let your troubles melt away to nothing.

For a deeply serene experience, Castlecoote House in Roscommon is a must. This reconstructed 17th century mansion features the ruins of an old castle in the grounds. Hiding out in the countryside, you can even try catching your own trout for dinner in the river that flows through the garden. And if you fancy a little history on the side, Strokestown Park is only 30 minutes away, and its Famine Museum is a fascinating place to visit, and includes a haunting collection of logged pleas from starving tenants living on the estate, and the candid responses.  

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/23-09-2016/22146c1e-e527-48ff-b664-9d6f.jpg

Nearby in Ireland’s Ancient East, the Lorum Rectory of County Carlow is a gem in the heartlands. In the foothills of the Blackstairs Mountains and on the banks of the River Barrow, this welcoming old country house serves up world-class food made with locally grown produce. Play croquet on the lawns, or rent a bike and cycle along the Barrow, and simply absorb the beauty of the wilderness. If you hark for an urban buzz during your stay, Kilkenny City and its story-filled medieval mile is only 30 minutes away.

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/23-09-2016/73bcbb55-ea43-482a-9c73-95c3.jpg

For something entirely unique, stay in County Antrim’s Blackhead Lighthouse. It feels almost as if you’re lingering on the edge of the world here, with the views out over the foaming sea a show-stopping affair. Still a working lighthouse, waking up as the huge beam swings out over the ocean is an incredible experience. You’re close to Belfast, too, so you can head into the city if you feel that urban urge, before returning to this coastal beauty at night!

So step out of the rat race for a while, kick back and, most importantly, enjoy.