Records from the "poor house"

Records from the "poor house"

Author
Posted Thu 8 Dec 2016 2:07 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Ireland Family History Expert Session with the Irish Family History Centre: https://www.facebook.com/Irela...

We host Expert Sessions regularly on the Facebook page so keep an eye out for the next one!

Question from Martin Brain: 

I am wondering if there are records of admission or similar records and information for those who spent time at the "Poor House" in Enniscorthy, Wexford which I can possibly get a copy of? My 3x great grandparents has their address on their child's baptism record in April 1846 being "Poor House". Was the poor house like a workhouse for the poor? From my research, the next mention of my 3x great grandparents address is Templeshannon, Enniscorthy on another child's birth certificate in 1868. Will appreciate any help you can give.

Answer from Irish Family History Centre:

Hi Martin,

I believe that Wexford County Archives hold the relevant records http://wexfordcountyarchive.com/our-collections/digital-collections/poor-law-union-minutes-enniscorthy-union/The poor house was another name for the workhouse, as you will I'm sure know 1846 was the second year of the Famine and the numbers in workhouses increased dramatically. You could try and follow your family in Templeshannon in the CAncelled books available in the Valuation Office.

Best wishes and good luck

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 9 Mar 2017 4:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)Community Expert (70.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Cindy,

Welcome to the community!

One thing I have found over the years is that it is important to establish a paper trail when researching your family history. That starts with your own birth certificate then on to your parents and grandparents.

We have several posts from others tracing their family ties and one that has lots of information is Ireland Family History. There are several good links within the various posts on where to start the search in Ireland.

I'm sure some of our community members will be able to assist you as well.

Good luck,

Martin