Murphys in Wexford

Murphys in Wexford

Author
Posted Thu 8 Dec 2016 2:25 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Ireland Family History Expert Session with the Irish Family History Centre: https://www.facebook.com/Irela...

We host Expert Sessions regularly on the Facebook page so keep an eye out for the next one!

Question from Bob Murphy: 

Seeking confirmation of my paternal grandparents, Jeremiah Murphy (born between Dec 1813-Mar 1814) possibly County Wexford who immigrated to NA/Canada in the mid-19th century. Married Esther Brennan (possibly daughter of William Brennan and Irene Sullivan) who we believe was born in Wexford County, Ireland on Apr 14, 1825. Together they had 8 children born in Canada and first appear in the US Census in 1870 in Illinois. Visiting Ireland in June 2017 and hoping to visit the areas where our ancestors lived. Thank you.

Answer from Irish Family History Centre:

Searching for a Murphy in Wexford is the ultimate brick wall! But on a more positive note there are ways we can progress this research. Do you have a copy of Jeremiah and Esther's marriage? I'm assuming they were Catholic in which case I would strongly recommend you try and find both their civil record and religious record of their marriage. You may get places of origin, and you also may get fathers' names and even mothers' names. You should also try and get any obituary published for Jeremiah, which will likely name places of origin. In short your best place to research at the moment is North America: Canada for the marriage and US for the newspaper obituary.