Mealys of KIlkenny

Mealys of KIlkenny

Author
Posted Thu 8 Dec 2016 2:29 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Ireland Family History Expert Session with the Irish Family History Centre: https://www.facebook.com/Irela...

We host Expert Sessions regularly on the Facebook page so keep an eye out for the next one!

Question from Michael C Meally: 

My 4th Grandfather John Mealy was born in 1791 in Cloneen, Castlecomer, County KIlkenny. John married Mary Byrne, also from the Castlecomer area. Mary was born in1792 and died in1816 age 24, John died in 1869 age 78. My question is did John marry again? And if so, how do I discover the woman's name?

Answer from Irish Family History Centre:

You will have to rely on parish records being extant from 1824 to search for a possible marriage for John Mealy. Of course if John married for the second time after civil registration began then you could search those records. Civil registration of non Catholic marriages began in 1845, registration of all marriages began in 1864. I presume you have looked at John's death certificate and seen who was the informant? Your hope would be that a family member notified the death, which might give you some clues.You could also search parish records (if they are extant from 1824) for children born to a John Mealy. This will identify for you any possible wife for John after 1824. You might also search the will calendars to see if John left a will. (www.willcalendars.nationalarchives.ie).