This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Kinsellas in County Laois

Kinsellas in County Laois

Author
Posted Thu 8 Dec 2016 4:45 PM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)Inactive User (51K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 8:42 AM Visits: 0
Ireland Family History Expert Session with the Irish Family History Centre: https://www.facebook.com/Irela...
We host Expert Sessions regularly on the Facebook page so keep an eye out for the next one!

Question from Carolyn Lawrence: 

#EXPERTQA My greatgrandfather, Patrick John Kinsella (or O'Kinsella) said he came from County Queen. He married my great grandmother, Esther, in Australia in 1868. His marriage certificate gives his parents as John and Catherine Kinsella (nee Kelly),
Storekeepers, Ballinaderry (?) Patrick's death certificate indicates by his age that he was born in 1833. I have been unable to find any information about Patrick, his parents or family. They don't seem to exist. I am thinking that he lied and invented an identity for some reason. Apparently he would never discuss his life prior to his marriage. I hope you can help. I visited Ireland last year from Australia but could only guess at the possible locations but all of Ireland was beautiful. I hope I have posted this in the right place as it is difficult to find and I have tried before and missed out. Thank you for any help you can give me

Answer from the Irish Family History Centre: 

Patrick claimed to come from Queen's County (now Laois), but he states his parents came from Ballinaderry. There isn't an obvious location in Laois that has this name, although there are places not too far away in norther Tipperary and Westmeath. You will need to keep an open mind on what the location of the shop was. It culd be Ballyderry, Ballinderry, Ballydeery, and so on. So try seeing if you can establish a most likely place or places using http://www.logainm.ie/en/
I would then recommend looking at Australian transportation database at the National Archives site to see if you can locate information about his arrival.