This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Family history

Family history

Author
I'm hooked
I'm hooked (598 reputation)I'm hooked (598 reputation)I'm hooked (598 reputation)I'm hooked (598 reputation)I'm hooked (598 reputation)I'm hooked (598 reputation)I'm hooked (598 reputation)I'm hooked (598 reputation)I'm hooked (598 reputation)
United States
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 26 Dec 2016 10:52 PM Visits: 5
I am interested in finding out my dear passed mothers lineage. Her father's name was Walter Danley.  He was born in the 1800's. My mother always told me his family was Irish. I have had the wondrous pleasure of visiting Ireland in the past and plan on returning. Would love to know where he might be from. Thank you for helping me. It is a heartfelt endevour. 
Posted Mon 26 Dec 2016 10:53 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Esteemed User
Esteemed User (2.3K reputation)Esteemed User (2.3K reputation)Esteemed User (2.3K reputation)Esteemed User (2.3K reputation)Esteemed User (2.3K reputation)Esteemed User (2.3K reputation)Esteemed User (2.3K reputation)Esteemed User (2.3K reputation)Esteemed User (2.3K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 22 Feb 2017 5:01 PM Visits: 120

Hello Deborah,

First of all, we hope you had a Merry Christmas and enjoyed some time with your family. Because it's all about the family, isn't it ?

The research you are about to start will take some time and patience Deborah, you have to be aware of that. It takes a lot of time to search and chase papers...

But it will also be extremely rewarding for you, as you will track back the history of your Irish family, and feel the bonding with your mother's roots. Maybe it will also bring you to Ireland and in any case that is great news because for sure, this experience will be breathtaking and joyful.

You need to start with establishing a solid paper trail. The way to do this is by gathering as many documents as you can from your local registry office and archives, starting with your own birth certificate and then adding those of your parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents etc. until you come across your first ancestors who were not born in the same country as you, but rather, in Ireland.

This is how you will find out where Walter Danley was born.

From there, it will be up to you to keep digging for the roots of the family tree, and why not get in touch with Irish cousins!

In any case, I strongly suggest that you get in touch with  Ireland Reaching Out (http://www.irelandxo.com/), a volunteer group specialized in reconnecting the descendants of Irish emigrants to their roots.

Hoping these few tips will help you start your research.

Best of luck, Deborah!

Posted Tue 27 Dec 2016 2:07 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)
Derry~Londonderry
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 4:33 PM Visits: 971
Hi Deborah

The exact origins of the surname Danley would appear to be uncertain, one suggestion being that it is a variant spelling of the County Tyrone sept name of Donnelly, in Gaelic 'O Donnghaille'; the name literally meaning 'descendant of the brown-haired warrior'.

RootsIreland - http://www.rootsireland.ie - has a powerful index facility in which you can search for both precise and potential variant spellings of a surname. A quick search of their indexes, for example, by selecting 'exact match' for surname Danley records 13 Danley births in Ireland between 1804 and 1858: 5 in Dublin, 3 in Wexford and 1 each in counties Antrim, Cork, Leitrim, Waterford and Wicklow; while mid-19th century Griffith's Valuation records a household headed by Robert Danley in the townland of Clooninihy in Terryglass Parish, County Tipperary.
Posted Thu 29 Dec 2016 10:53 AM
Question