St Patrick's Day in Ireland?

St Patrick's Day in Ireland?

Author
Posted Fri 24 Feb 2017 11:30 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I'm going to be in Ireland on March 17, when the huge St Patrick's Day celebrations are taking place all over the island. But I was wondering where's the best place to go for the most authentic, and most fun, experience of the holiday?

We're flying in to Dublin shortly before, so staying and enjoying the St Patrick's Festival could be an option? We hear it's absolutely huge, and that it offers a lot of events before and after the parade that show off the hospitality that Ireland is so famous for. Has anyone ever been? What events would you recommend? We love traditional music, so anywhere with a great live music session would be ideal!

Cork is another option for us – as one of the other large cities on the island, we'd love to know a little bit more about what's going on around the St Patrick's Day weekend in this southern gem? We've heard Kinsale and Cobh are beautiful places to visit as well, so exploring the coast could be another activity for after the parade is finished!

Finally, does anyone know what St Patrick's Day is like in Armagh? I read that it has really close ties to St Patrick, and that it's where he established his first church. I also heard that there's a Home of St Patrick Festival taking place in the city around that time – does anyone know anything about it?

If you have any more information, or could suggest anywhere else, please comment below!