Changing surnames

Changing surnames

Author
Posted Mon 13 Mar 2017 11:48 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
IrelandFamily History Expert Session with Findmypast.

We host Expert Sessions regularly on theFacebook page so keep an eye out for the next one!

Question from Barb Mutter: I have been trying to find out the origins of my family name, hope you can help. Leathong is the spelling I grew up with but have seen Lethong and Leithong. I know that my Great Grandfather immigrated from Ireland but haven't found out much on the family there.

Answer from Findmypast: As we move further back through time, names can change through misspelling and mishearing when copied by others. Literacy was nowhere near as prominent as today and you may find over centuries that names can travel a long way form where they began. Use wildcards (* and ?) where you aren't sure (we recommend searching with "Le*thong") and explore anything that sounds like it could be a match.