name for my puppy

name for my puppy

Author
Posted Tue 25 Apr 2017 8:48 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi all,
I'm expecting a litter of puppies. I would like to have at least one Ireland-themed name.
Only catch is: the name must start with a Q and have a maaximum of 20 letters (more then one word is allowed)
Any ideas?
Thanks!

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 26 Apr 2017 9:39 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Kim
As far as I am aware there is no letter 'Q' in the Irish language - the letters 'cu' are used instead
What not call your puppy 'CuChulainn' - after a great Irish warrior

If you do decide to do this - share a photograph of your pup with our facebook page www.facebook.com/navancentrearmagh  Our Centre tells the history of CuChulainn and the Red Branch Knights and the archaeology of Emain Macha (Navan Fort)

Hope this helps
Ghilian 

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 26 Apr 2017 9:56 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)Community Expert (65.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 1 hour ago Visits: 22K
Hi Kim,
I have received the following suggestions - 'Quin' or 'Quinlan', which are probably the only options, as the 'Q' is not used in the Irish language as pointed out by Ghillian.
Both names are Gailge and mean wise and wisdom & strength.

Another option could be 'Quinlivan'.

Good luck and post a picture once the puppies have arrived!
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 26 Apr 2017 10:05 AM
View Quick Profile
That's a tough question as the Irish language does not have any of the  following 8 letters  J, K, Q, V, W, X, Y or Z .  
Quin/n is a very good suggestion indeed!
Bernie Ryan
Botanic View B & B
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 26 Apr 2017 10:13 AM
View Quick Profile
Many thanks for getting in touch with the community in relation to the naming of your puppy. Here are a few suggestions which you may want to consider.

Quinlan meaning very strong in Irish or
Quaid (Irish for Walter) - you may also want to consider
Quillan which means cub.

Quinlan Quaid Quillan

I hope these suggestions are useful.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 26 Apr 2017 10:13 AM
View Quick Profile
Thanks all for the suggestions. 
I'm also open to suggestions that describe ireland, like "quiet lakes" or something like that, if you know what I mean. 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 26 Apr 2017 10:49 AM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)Industry Member (10.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 2 Bronze Achievements 16
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 20 Jul 2022 7:52 PM Visits: 328
"Queen Madb (Maeve) as Mhaigh Eo" - that's 19 or 20 letters
Good luck with that.
Conor
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 26 Apr 2017 11:56 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi Kim,

Welcome to the Community!

How lovely to hear that you're expecting a few new arrivals soon, puppies that is! As our previous member has said, Q is not a letter in the Irish alphabet.

However, you could choose a place name instead of a person, so a suggestion for us here would be Quigley, after a place in Inishowen County Donegal called Quigley's Point. This place overlooks the scenic Lough Foyle that flows into the Atlantic Ocean and we have a link on our website to Lough Foyle to help paint a picture in your head :)

Did you know that the American film director Quentin Tarantino has Irish roots on his mother's side, so perhaps Quentin could also be one to consider? :)  

I'm sure you will get some more help from other members of the community, hope everything goes ok.

Regards,

Neil
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 26 Apr 2017 2:15 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi, Kim!

I always find naming new puppies quite exciting and it certainly is a great discussion!  

Just another suggestion to add, Quintessential.  It's not very Irish but is used to emphasise the most perfect or typical example of quality or class which could be referred to describe Ireland.

There are some really great suggestions here though, especially being quite tricky!

All the best in finding the perfect name!

Best,

Colin
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 27 Apr 2017 9:39 PM
View Quick Profile
Our litter was born today. 
Attachments
FB_IMG_1493325336201.jpg (641 views, 25.00 KB)