This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Help please - getting complicated!

Help please - getting complicated!

Author
Respected User
Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 31 Aug 2017 10:34 AM Visits: 43
My husband's Grandad was born in Moyne Laghey and for a special birthday David wanted to visit his roots as part of a 2 week driving tour of Ireland, flying to Dublin on 25th July. Since we booked our flight and car hire, we have discovered that David has advanced cancer, but we are determined to go ahead as long as there is no reason not to nearer the time. But it has thrown up a number of issues and I'd be so grateful for any help/advice/comments please.
1. Originally we would have gone South then up to Donegal, then Giants Causeway, then back to Dublin. Now we'd like to do it in reverse or even go to Donegal first, so that if there's a problem at all we've done the priority bit. How would we best do this route-wise please? What would be the timings? Anything else to consider?
2. Will we have any problems with accommodation potentially? We can't really book in advance apart from our first night in Dublin.
3. We might have to plan our trip round proximity of hospitals. Insurance may be very difficult but I think Ireland will allow us access to medical care on the same basis as in Northern Ireland? and we have EHIC cards as well as travel insurance for everything but the cancer. Any thoughts please?
4. I'll look in other forums, but anything else I need to consider.
Thank you for ploughing through this!
Posted Wed 21 Jun 2017 8:13 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 4 Jul 2019 1:12 PM Visits: 816
Good morning Yvonne,

Thanks for your queries!  I can completely understand wanting to prioritise some aspects of your upcoming trip.  With regards to timings, this would really depend on how much time you are planning to spend in each area you are planning to visit.

As you are flying into Dublin, it could indeed be an option to explore Dublin whilst you are there and then travel across to Donegal and work your way around the coast towards the Antrim Coast and Giant's Causeway and down towards Dublin again, or perhaps as you've mentioned yourself, heading towards Donegal and exploring there first and leaving Dublin to explore near the end of your trip.  Two weeks would definitely be a realistic time frame for this.

A lot of visitors to the island tend to book accommodation as they travel, so I don't feel that this would be an issue, however, I do usually recommend having a browse of potential accommodation options and perhaps reaching out to them beforehand to get an idea of what their availability is like during your travel dates.

You may find our Traveller Health section helpful when it comes to healthcare options and insurance queries.  As you've mentioned, the European Health Insurance Card does indeed cover most medical care, although it would be recommended to query any specifics with your travel insurance company.  

I hope this information helps a little bit further with regards to your plans.  I hope that both you and David have a wonderful trip and if there is absolutely anything else that I can provide guidance with, please let me know.

All the best,

Colin
Posted Wed 21 Jun 2017 9:21 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Respected User
Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)Respected User (2K reputation)
Great Britain
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 31 Aug 2017 10:34 AM Visits: 43
Thank you so much for your quick and helpful reply Colin. Just to clarify, if all goes well we still hope to tour round as much of Ireland as we can; we're just changing the order. Also, how long does it take approximately to get from Dublin to Donegal please?
Posted Wed 21 Jun 2017 9:35 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)Community Expert (39.9K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Thu 4 Jul 2019 1:12 PM Visits: 816
You're very welcome, Yvonne.  Ah - I see, that's excellent.  There are lots of beautiful landscapes waiting to be explored here in Ireland and I am sure that you're looking forward to your trip.

With regards to the length of time, it would take to get from Dublin to Donegal, it would take approximately 3 hours drive, via the N3.

I hope that helps!

Best,

Colin
Posted Wed 21 Jun 2017 11:53 AM
Question