This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Information on the Barker and McMahon families

Information on the Barker and McMahon families

Author
Community Expert
Community Expert (8.2K reputation)Community Expert (8.2K reputation)Community Expert (8.2K reputation)Community Expert (8.2K reputation)Community Expert (8.2K reputation)Community Expert (8.2K reputation)Community Expert (8.2K reputation)Community Expert (8.2K reputation)Community Expert (8.2K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Mar 2016 1:06 PM Visits: 66
Ireland Family History Expert Session with Ireland Reaching Outhttps://www.facebook.com/IrelandFamilyHistory/

We host Expert Sessions regularly on the Facebook page so keep an eye out for the next one!

Question from Rosalind Wilson‎:
My great-grandparents Francis Barker and Teresa McMahon were married in Tehallen (Tyholland) ,County Monaghan on 30th Jan, 1860 when she was 21 years old and living in Tehallen whereas he is living in Liverpool. In the English census of 1861 his age is given as 32 and hers was 30. The 1891 census gives them as 61 and 60. Both of these are in Liverpool where all 6 of their sons were born. I have not been able to find births/baptisms for either of them.
In the 1832 Tithe Allotment book there is a Francis Barker senior in Cullmuck-Cawn, Tehallen. Could this be my gg-grandfather?
I’d like to know more about the Barker and McMahon families.

Answer:
Hi Rosalind, one thing to keep in mind is to believe only what you can prove. It may be the case that the Francis you mention in an ancestor but try to consider first, the generation after them so that you can make concrete decisions from there. Records for the Roman Catholic Parish of Tyholland begin in 1835 for baptisms and 1827 for marriages. There are some gaps after this time though in 1863 and 1865. Have a look on familysearch or rootsireland to see if you can find a baptism or marriage record for them.

Posted Thu 11 Feb 2016 12:34 PM
Question