Who is your Ireland's sporting greatest?

Author
Posted Fri 14 Jul 2017 12:26 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)Community Expert (38.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Everyone,

I recently saw an exhibition on Ted Keenan in Enniskillen. This man was a Triple Channel Swimmer! 😮

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 17 Jul 2017 9:10 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I used to live in East Belfast, so naturally I have to say the football (soccer) legend, George Best! I used to be so proud to live near where he grew up -- there are brilliant murals of him around the neighborhood. <3
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 28 Jul 2017 1:30 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 20
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 1.7K
Hi Elodie,

There are a number of sporting heros from Northern Ireland so it is difficult to choose just one!

George Best was the Belfast boy with magic feet. Best by name, best by nature, his artistry on the football field was simply mesmerising. Belfast City Airport was re-named 'George Best Belfast City Airport' on 22nd May, 2006 to commemorative the life of International footballing legend.

The greatest jump jockey of all time, AP McCoy rode over 4,300 winners in a career that saw him re-write racing’s history books.

The name of Joey Dunlop is among the most revered in world motorsport. The Dunlop legacy can be explored in Ballymoney through memorial gardens dedicated to the racing legend, and Joey’s Bar, a mecca for motorcycle pilgrims,

Mary Peters now dubbed "the golden girl" clinched a gold medal in the women's pentathlon from the 1972 Olympic Games, held in Munich. The athletics venue in the outskirts of Belfast is called the Mary Peters Trsck in her honour.

Northern Ireland also has a number of golfing legends including Rory McIlroy, Darren Clarke, Graeme McDowell and Fred Daly. Read more about Northern Ireland's golfing legends here.