This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Music Festivals in Ennis Area - June 2017

Music Festivals in Ennis Area - June 2017

Author
Posted Thu 25 Feb 2016 8:50 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (63.5K reputation)Community Expert (63.5K reputation)Community Expert (63.5K reputation)Community Expert (63.5K reputation)Community Expert (63.5K reputation)Community Expert (63.5K reputation)Community Expert (63.5K reputation)Community Expert (63.5K reputation)Community Expert (63.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 9:09 PM Visits: 12.9K
Question Posted by Member Michael Conca
I'm planning (ok way ahead of time!) to visit County Clare in June of 2017. It will be my first (of many I hope) visit to Ireland! I have heard that there's many music festivals in the Ennis area (not far from the Cliffs of Moher). Can anyone speak to this?
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 25 Feb 2016 10:20 AM
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.2K reputation)Forum Guru (1.2K reputation)Forum Guru (1.2K reputation)Forum Guru (1.2K reputation)Forum Guru (1.2K reputation)Forum Guru (1.2K reputation)Forum Guru (1.2K reputation)Forum Guru (1.2K reputation)Forum Guru (1.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 12 Apr 2019 7:04 AM Visits: 13
There are several music festivals in county clare over the summer period but dates for 2017 events won't be confirmed probably at this point.  The west coast towns of miltown malbay, lahinch, kilrush, kilkee, lisdoonvarna and doonbeg are the main locations for the most popular events and each year the dates will vary slightly so you'll need to check in late 2016 or early 2017 for the exact dates.

In June the main event is the Doolin Music Festival - http://www.doolinfolkfestival.com
The biggest traditional music festival in County Clare is the Willie Clancy Festival but this actually starts usually on the first weekend of July and runs for 10 days - http://www.scoilsamhraidhwillieclancy.com/

In the summer months you'll not have to look very far in any town in County Clare to find live music in pubs & bars and other venues like community halls.  The county town of Ennis is actually located 20 minutes from Shannon Airport and about 30 - 50 minutes drive from most of the coastal towns referred to above.  In Ennis there is a Music festival at the end of May called the Fleadh Nua which might be of interest if you've coming a little earlier - http://www.fleadhnua.com

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 25 Feb 2016 11:36 AM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 8:42 AM Visits: 0
Michael, the above suggestions are all excellent, and I would definitely agree that the Doolin Folk Festival is one of the musical highlights in County Clare during the summer months!  :)

However, if you are interested in experiencing something a little bit different, you could also check out the Doonbeg International Jazz Festival, which also takes place in June. This festival welcomes talented musicians from all over the world, and when you combine this with the charming Irish “craic” culture, it makes for one unique festival!

Clare is widely considered to be the traditional music capital of Ireland and, as Eoin mentioned, you will have no problem finding a “seisún” to join in on while you're in Ennis! These are often spontaneous affairs, but if you wish, you can keep an eye on upcoming sessions here.

Ireland has a fantastic festival scene, catering to not only music fans, but film buffs, foodies and lovers of literature; You can find out more about Irish festivals by taking a look at this article.

I hope this helps you plan your trip, Michael! If you need any other suggestions, just let me know! :D
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 25 Feb 2016 12:10 PM
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)Inactive User (51.2K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 8:42 AM Visits: 0
Hi Michael,
There are many festivals on in Ennis and County Clare during the year. The 2017 list has not been produced yet but you can assume that the 2016 festivals will be on again in 2017 with slight variations in the dates. The largest traditional music festival in the world Fleadh Cheoil na hEireann (www.fleadhcheoil.ie) is on in Ennis this year and will hopefully be on in 2017 also (decision will be made on March 19th) there is a link to the 2016 Clare festivals guide on www.clare.ie and www.visitennis.com is also another good info website. Both of these website are been completely changed and their new versions are expected to go live by the end of March. In Ennis where I am from there are many traditional music sessions every night and in the tourist hostel which I run Rowan Tree Hostel and Rowan Tree Cafe Bar we have an up to date list of all the sessions so if you do come pop in and say hello. Regards from Ennis #visitennis #rowan3