This forum has posts in multiple languages.

Translate everything to English

Close
Translate

Automated translation is being used to translate posts & replies into your language and we cannot guarantee its accuracy.

Advice needed on planning a driving holiday in Ireland - could be yearly trip

Advice needed on planning a driving holiday in Ireland - could be...

Author
Inactive User
Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)
Group: Community Member Last Active: Wed 4 Sep 2019 7:42 AM Visits: 0
I live in London, England but love visiting Ireland. One thing about living in London is you cannot enjoy driving a car. The average speed in traffic is just 6 mph. The other day I drove 17 miles and it took almost 2 hours. Also there's not much to see.

I love going on road trips abroad but have to admit I much prefer driving on the left side of the road as that's what I'm used to. So that of course favours driving in Ireland.

Through the great job Tourism Ireland do I've recently found out about the West Atlantic Way and that seems like a great way to see Ireland, do a road trip and have a great adventure. I'm also a bit of a fan of camping and the great outdoors.

I'm wondering if you had a maximum of 6 days, how much of the West Atlantic Way would people recommend doing? I'm thinking about organising a trip maybe around June/July/August

My thoughts are more to limit driving to a maximum of 3 to 4 hours per day. Maybe driving upto 2 hours before taking a break.
My other thoughts are taking my own car from London vs hiring a car in Ireland. From the brief searches I've done it seems it will cost about £400 to take my car on the ferry from England to Ireland with around 3 people? I don't know if there's any better deals then this?

I'd be interested to know what it would cost to hire a car in Ireland as an alternative. Especially if you have the option to pick it up in one place and drop it off in a different town, in which case we'd be flying from one of the London Airports, ideally Luton Airport as that's the nearest to me with cheaper flights to Ireland.

I'd prefer to stay in either camp grounds if we had our own car or if we had to hire then probably hostels or some place small and friendly.

The other thing is if it all went well I'd love to turn it into a yearly trip and invite others to join us, maybe a maximum of say 20 people either in their own cars or in a couple of hired minivans. but to begin with maybe a maximum of 1 or 2 cars with 3 to 8 people going.

I always find people make really good friends when they go on a road trip together.
Anyways would love to know your thoughts and suggestions on routes, car hire, ferry routes, hostels, B7B, hotels, etc
Posted Sat 27 Feb 2016 8:01 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)Inactive User (1.9K reputation)
Hi Dee! Welcome to the forum. :D

Coming from London the ferry crossings at either Fishguard or Pembroke would be the closest for you. These are run either by Irish Ferries or Stena Line. You can have a look at their websites for their deals, sometimes they have an early bird discount. From there it is a little under 3 hours to the start of the Wild Atlantic Way in Kinsale. It might be a good starting point for your first WAW adventure.

It is possible to pick up a rental car at one airport and drop it off at a different one. You just need to make sure they have a depot at the airport you wish to leave from. On the Car Rental Council of Ireland website you can find out which rental companies are located in Ireland and the prices.

On the Ireland.com website you can find itinerary sections of each part of the WAW, of course you are able to stretch out the route longer as you are preferred to drive 4 or 5 hours a day. In  the same website you can find all the accommodation in Ireland from B&B's to hostels, from guesthouses to camping grounds. 

The great thing about the Wild Atlantic Way is that there is something new to discover around every corner. 

Posted Sat 27 Feb 2016 10:15 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (7.9K reputation)Industry Member (7.9K reputation)Industry Member (7.9K reputation)Industry Member (7.9K reputation)Industry Member (7.9K reputation)Industry Member (7.9K reputation)Industry Member (7.9K reputation)Industry Member (7.9K reputation)Industry Member (7.9K reputation)
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Wed 8 May 2019 10:59 AM Visits: 94
Hi Dee.
Have you considered hiring a campervan or motorhome when you come to Ireland?  This would give you the freedom to explore Ireland and overnight in one of the many caravan sites throughout Ireland, many dotted on the Wild Atlantic Way route.  Check out our website www.campingireland.ie where you will find details on the campervan hire companies as well as information on over 90 parks.
Posted Thu 3 Mar 2016 11:26 AM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Hi Dee,
I just saw your post and just to give you an idea how much of the Wild Atlantic Way can be covered in 6 days - there is a Wild Atlantic Way Audax being run in June this year, The audax is for long distance cyclists, and they are going to cycle the entire route in just 7 days! Now, I am not suggesting you hire bikes instead of a car :)  its just to let you know how much can be covered in that period of time.

A great place to stay over on your journey is Mayo, which is a central point on your journey. Westport, Achill and North Mayo are great locations to use as a base for a day or two to get away from all the driving. http://www.mayo.ie 

I hope you have a great trip and don't worry if you don't get it all covered on the one break, you can always come back!

Posted Thu 3 Mar 2016 3:15 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
If you decide to rent a vehicle in Ireland, and wish to decline the rental company's CDW (Collision Damage Waiver) and use the coverage that may be associated with your credit card, BE CERTAIN TO BRING A DATED LETTER SHOWING COVERAGE from your card company, as the rental agency can force you to accept their VERY EXPENSIVE coverage instead. Without a printed copy of that letter, your rental fee could easily double when you go to pick up your car!  Also, If you need a GPS system, try to bring one of your own for the vehicle, as the rental service will charge you anywhere from another 10 - 15 euros per day for that item, which may also be about twice what you will pay for the car itself.

Having said that, there are wonderful people at all of the car rental agencies, and you will grand time cruising Eire via its roadways!  ;-)
Posted Thu 3 Mar 2016 5:04 PM
Question
View Quick Profile
Inactive User
Hi Dee,

Great to hear that you are planning to drive on the Wild Atlantic Way! You will know that this is the world's longest touring route, at 2,500 km and indeed, there are some breathtaking sights along the way. The route passes through 9 different counties: Donegal, Leitrim, Sligo, Mayo, Galway, Clare, Limerick, Kerry and Cork. There are 3 airports along the WAW that you can fly into from London - Cork, Shannon (in Limerick) and Ireland West Airport Knock (in Mayo).

I would suggest that, in order to really get a feel for the 'real' west of Ireland, you should try to explore as many of the nooks & crannies of the WAW as possible - these are where the most stunning views are, with lovely villages & amazing stories to be heard - just off the beaten tracks. So, you could divide the WAW into 3 - maybe in accordance with airports. If you decide to fly into Cork, you could easily spend 6 days driving through all the peninsulas and winding roads of Cork or Kerry & Limerick! The same applies to Clare & Galway (flying into Shannon), and Mayo / Sligo / Leitrim and Donegal (flying into Knock). 

Some counties are huge and have so many peninsulas to travel up & down, e.g. Donegal, Cork and Mayo.

For example, Erris is a vast region in the north west of County Mayo, and includes the Mullet Peninsula. Erris has been voted the best place in Ireland to go wild! You could easily spend 2/3/4 days travelling through the entire region - we have four lighthouses, Ballycroy National Park, several looped walks (on beaches, on cliff edges, by lakes), a heritage centre, award-winning restaurants, deserted islands, adventure watersports, and the list goes on ...!

It won't be an easy task to decide on your route . . . go n-éirí an bóthar leat!
(translation: may the road rise with you / good luck on your journey)

Kind regards,
Rosemarie Mangan
Tourism Officer, Erris Beo

www.errisbeo.ie
www.wildatlanticway.com

Posted Fri 4 Mar 2016 11:51 AM
Question