Renting a car at age 75

Renting a car at age 75

Author
Posted Wed 11 Oct 2017 7:13 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Are there any exceptions to the prohibition against renting a car to someone aged 75, and/or are there any specific car rental companies who will do this?

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 12 Oct 2017 10:07 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hello, Paula.

Huge thanks for joining us here on the Community to start a discussion!
Hopefully, this information sheds some light on this particular area for you.  Are you considering a visit to Ireland yourself?  It would be great to hear where in particular you are thinking of visiting.

All the best,

Colin

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 13 Oct 2017 9:35 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Paula,

I'd like to 2nd the information above. I work for Europcar.ie and we have special requirements for drivers over 75. For your information, these are: 

"Drivers aged 75 and over need to provide a PRINTED medical certificate/letter which states that they are fit to drive and a letter from their insurance company stating that they are currently driving and have not had an accident within the last 5 years.  This information must be received at least 5 working days in advance of your rental."

Let me know if you have any other questions about car rental in Ireland that I can help you with.

Ronan
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 13 Oct 2017 11:11 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Paula, 

When are you hoping to visit Ireland? It's such a beautiful place I think you will really enjoy your time here. 

There is no prohibition on people who are 75 and over, however, there is a couple of things you would need to supply when renting a car in Ireland. 

Those aged 75 and over, as mentioned above, will need to provide a printed medical certificate which states that they are fit to drive and a letter from their insurance company stating that they are currently driving and have not had an accident within the last 5 years. This information must be received at least 5 working days in advance of your rental.

Once you have those items there should be no issue with renting a car

I hope you enjoy your time here in Ireland.

Best Wishes, 

The Team at Car Rental Ireland

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 13 Oct 2017 2:52 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello, Paula.

I hope that the information that has been provided above as assured you further that arranging this is possible.  I also wanted to take this time to ask how your plans were coming along?  I and others here on the Community would be delighted to help you along the way.

I would also like to express thanks to the team at Car Rental Ireland, as well as Ronan from Europcar Ireland for lending their expertise!

Have a great weekend,

Colin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 13 Oct 2017 4:14 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Paula,

Traveling about the Emerald Isle at your own pace in a rental vehicle is a wonderful experience. As previously mentioned, those aged 75 and over can rent a vehicle in Ireland so long as they have a signed document from their physician stating that they are capable of driving, as well as a document from their insurance company that verifies they have not had any accidents in the last 5 years. 

Our Self-Drive Tours of Ireland provide the freedom and flexibility to see the cities and sights on your must-see list on your terms. As professional itinerary planners, we take your interests and the areas that you'd most like to tour and craft a custom itinerary based on your personal preferences. HERE you will see our page discussing more information regarding this tour option. I also recommend taking a look at our Self-Drive Planning Guide seen HERE

Please feel free to contact me at anytime for information about our services: 

Name: Christine MacAllister
Email: Christine@TenonTours.com
Phone: +1-781-435-6804

I hope to hear from you soon and help you plan a wonderful vacation, Paula! 

Best,
Christine

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 13 Oct 2017 10:37 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you all!  My husband I are hoping to make the trip next fall. (We were feeling somewhat constrained by meeting whatever age-limit might exist, as he will be turning 75 in January, so it is reassuring that we can let our timeline slide a bit as long as we provide the necessary documentation.)

We have been to Ireland twice before, in 2001 and 2003, so it has been a while. The focus of our trip this time will be family research.  We both have ancestors who emigrated from Ireland: mine from County Clare and my husband's from Limerick.  We will also want to travel to Donegal on this trip, so we will no doubt plan to drive up the west coast.

I have a secondary question:  How will I learn what address to send the required documentation when it comes to renting a car?  Is there one site for car rentals, which aggregates all the options available, from which travelers select a car to rent?

Thanks again!!

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 14 Oct 2017 2:16 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)Industry Member (25K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 20
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 11:55 AM Visits: 1.7K
Hello Paula,

Europcar UK hire cars to people aged 75+ and Sixt hire cars to people aged 75 (but not older) with no extra proof from their doctor or their insurance.
Depending on your travel plans you could fly into Northern Ireland and hire a car there. As Northern Ireland is part of the UK the Terms and Conditions of Europcar UK apply here.
However, when you are driving into the Republic of Ireland surcharges will apply.
Please check on Europcar UK or Sixt websites for more information.

We hope you find this information helpful and are looking forward to welcoming you to Northern Ireland soon.

All the best

your Visit Belfast Team

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 14 Oct 2017 3:35 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Thanks to Visit Belfast for the additional information regarding the hiring of cars in the UK and Northern Ireland.

I would also suggest contacting the Car Rental Council of Ireland with regard to a single body with whom to contact for selecting rental car companies. They have a list of members on their site that would provide you with an excellent place to start.

As you will be traveling along the Wild Atlantic Way looking for family history connections, we have a great resource of Helpful Tips here on the community again for you to have a look at.

Once again, Paula, thanks for filling us in some more on your plans for your time with us, let us know how your plans progress,

Regards

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 15 Oct 2017 12:47 AM
View Quick Profile
Thanks so much...this is VERY helpful!