Need some help from Kilmeaden

Need some help from Kilmeaden

Author
Posted Fri 2 Feb 2018 11:42 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
My ancestors came to the United States in the 1800's from Kilmeaden in Waterford County.  All of my life I heard the stories of our Irish roots.  Although I've never seen Kilmeaden and will never be able to travel to Ireland, I would like to hold a piece of Kilmeaden in the palm of my hand.  I am looking for someone who would be willing to mail me a small stone from Kilmeaden.  It would have to be in a box since putting it in a regular envelope would cause the envelope to rip.  Does anyone know someone who is willing to help me?  Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks :)  Mary Dillon
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 2 Feb 2018 12:21 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Mary,

You are for sure at the right place!
We have many members from all over the world including all over Ireland.

While you are waiting for the special delivery, I thought I would share this lovely story from County Waterford with you.
You may know it already. 😊

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 2 Feb 2018 1:47 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:36 PM Visits: 21.9K
Hi Mary,
welcome to the Community & thank you for sharing your request.
I have reached out to some colleagues in the Kilmeaden/ Waterford area and hopefully we will be able to help - watch this space!
I will be in touch via e-mail as soon as I hear any updates, to hopefully request your postal details.
Have a good weekend.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 2 Feb 2018 2:02 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Mary,
Hope you are well!
It's lovely to hear that you grew up listening to stories of Ireland and that you want to keep the connection with your Irish Roots in Waterford. We are a a hotel group with properties all over Ireland and we have a wonderful Hotel in Waterford, Athenaeum House Hotel,

It is a family run hotel and the owner would be happy to grant your wish over the weekend while she picks out the perfect stone for you to keep, this is their Facebook page if you want to keep in contact with them while you wait for your special delivery! :)https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/02-02-2018/8f14c995-53f1-4d17-ad8e-b9fb.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 2 Feb 2018 2:07 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)Community Expert (65.3K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Thank you so much for your reply & help 'Manor House Hotels'.
It would be lovely, if the owner of the 'Athenaeum House Hotel' could maybe take some pictures whilst picking the perfect stone and we could add them to this thread?!
Thank you again for your help.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 2 Feb 2018 2:08 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello Mary 
I am responding from Waterford & Suir Valley Railway, Kilmeadan Train Station.  It is a social enterprise operating a heritage railway as a tourist attraction on the section of the abandoned Waterford to Cork Railway line from Kilmeadan Station to Waterford City. 
I am attaching a photo of volunteer train driver Noel O'Sullivan from Kilmeadan Village picking a genuine Kilmeadan Stone from the the station platform and we will send it to you if you email us you address at info@wsvrailway.ie
You will notice we spell Kilmeadan with an "a" as the station sign Noel is standing in front of is the original Kilmeadan Station sign when the railway first opened in 1878.   This was probably the station your ancestors traveled from when they were leaving Ireland. 

We look forward to hearing from you. 
Kind regards
Maria Kyte

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/02-02-2018/c1b25462-afb0-4cef-9d19-b107.jpghttps://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/02-02-2018/afb8cb80-5147-4786-9f4f-0596.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 2 Feb 2018 2:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Island of Ireland
Thank you so much for your help Maria - that's so lovely. 

Hi Mary,
it looks like you might be getting a number of stones! Take a picture once you have received them and add them to this post to let us know that you got them ok. 

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 2 Feb 2018 2:29 PM
View Quick Profile
thank you all so much for your kind replies.  how do I get you my mailing information?  where do I post it?
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 2 Feb 2018 2:37 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Island of Ireland
Hi Mary,
I just e-mailed you. Please forward your address to me and I will pass it on to all the ireland.com Community members, who are offering to post a stone to you.

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 2 Feb 2018 2:47 PM
View Quick Profile
I sent a facebook message with my address to the lovely people who have offered to send me a stone from kilmeaden.  I also sent an email to the wonderful people (maria and the train engineer) with the same info.  If you don't receive the info would you please let me know.  Again, thank you all so much for your amazing kindness and willingness to help me find a way to hold my roots in the palm of my hand!