Self Driving Tour- West

Self Driving Tour- West

Author
Posted Tue 20 Feb 2018 6:24 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Ok well best way then is for you to do a half day trip to the Aran Islands and return via the Cliffs of Moher with me....www.doolinferry.com ...Inis Oirr is one of the three Aran Islands and yes you get to walk around the island...hire a bike or guide on a pony and trap!  Its magical and the weather clears very fast in our part of the world so don't worry about that!  

Check this out Randee.....trip ideas 

You can then proceed up to the Burren and to Flaggy shore and then in the evening onto Galway - next day go to Connemara.  

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 20 Feb 2018 6:25 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Sorry. Meant to attach this link to the Wild Atlantic Way website for details of attractions and sights along the route :-) 

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 20 Feb 2018 6:28 PM
View Quick Profile
Bill & Randee - I have never visited the Aran Islands, that's my ambition for this year. I have been inspired! It's been on my must-see list for years. I will go with you Bill! See you later this year! 
Áine
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 20 Feb 2018 8:56 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Aine, looking forward to having you onboard...you 'll love any of our boat trips to all three of the Aran Islands and all along the iconic Cliffs of Moher.  

See you then.  Bill 

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Feb 2018 2:39 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Aine-
I have a question about Dublin Hotels. I booked a hotel that is opening in June called the Maldron Hotel on Kevin Street.
I am using points so I am limited to where I can stay and because this hotel is new they were offering reasonable rates.
Is the location ok? Central? Someone had mentioned that they thought this was an old, rough area of Dublin. Just wondering
your thoughts. Thanks! Randee
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Feb 2018 2:47 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Randee and Aine,

I just drove past this hotel location last week and saw it under construction......."I hope it will be open on time for you"  would be my first worry.  Yes it does border a part of town that in the past had a bad rep but no more.  This is directly opposite one of our very large police stations called the Kevin St, Station.  Which is almost beside St Patricks Cathedral...super good location to walk everywhere in the city.  Check out both that one and Christchurch Cathedral and I understand City Hall is open on Dame St and is FREE!!  Then you have Dublin Castle and the Chester Beaty library!  Go further on Dame St and come to Trinity college and the famous Book of Kells....this is where our upmarket shopping street begins = Grafton St.  To your right you have the Guinness Store house!!!  

In sum a great location!!

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 21 Feb 2018 3:36 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Randee
I know this area quite well as I have a friend who lives in the area, and I actually used to live about 100m from the site of this new hotel!
It is a very central location, literally across the road from St Patrick's Cathedral. This whole part of town is enjoying a resurgence in popularity and I wouldn't consider it old or rough anymore. You'd also be close to Christchurch and Stephen's Green (10-15 minute walk) Temple Bar (20 minute walk) and the Guinness Storehouse (10 mins) and around the corner from the new Teeling's Whiskey Distillery.
Also walking distance from a great selection of fab restaurants and bars on Wexford/Camden street. As in any city I would take precautions walking around and not have valuables on display but honestly, in my opinion, this is a really good location and a safe place to stay. 
Regards,
Áine 
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 22 Feb 2018 11:09 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)Community Expert (38.8K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Administrator Last Active: Thu 11 Apr 2024 8:44 AM Visits: 9.8K
Hi Randee,

It seems that Áine and Bill have already covered everything!

I know your trip is planned for September but have you looked at the different option around renting a car as well as checking the toll roads? We have some great information on our website, Ireland.com, if you want to have a look.

Regarding the Aran Islands, it is also on my bucket list. I was to go glamping there last year, but the weather had other plans for us.
If you get the chance to go, Randee, please make sure to share some pictures for Áine and me. 😊
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 8 Mar 2018 3:55 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Aine!
I hope you are having a wonderful day. Quick question. How long is the quickest drive from Galway to Dublin?
Also, isn't there a sight that is famous that we would want to see on that drive? I think maybe it is a monastery?
Clonmacnoise? I have to return my rental car on a Sunday and the place is only open til 3!!! Do I have 
time to drive from Galway and still visit Conmacnoise?
Thanks!
Randee
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 8 Mar 2018 6:27 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Randee, you sure do!

It's motorway (120kmph limit) the whole way from Galway to Dublin. Clonmacnoise is stunning and is en route.
It's about 20 minutes off the motorway. 
So it would be about 75 minutes from Galway to Clonmacnoise. (80 kms) 
And about 2 hours from Clonmacnoise to Dublin Airport (135kms) 
There is usually very little traffic on a Sunday compared to during the week so I am sure you would do it quicker depending on the speed you like to drive!  

9am            Leave Galway
10.30          Arrive Clonmacnoise
10.30-12     Explore Clonmacnoise
12-2            Drive to Dublin Airport

There will be time to get a nice lunch en route too! I like Furey's Bar off the M6/M4 about an hour from Clonmacnoise. It's small and quaint, atmospheric and traditional and the food is good value. There are loads of other little spots off the road, depending on how much time you have! 

I hope this helps :-) 

Áine