Self Driving Tour- West

Self Driving Tour- West

Author
Posted Thu 8 Mar 2018 10:03 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Aine- You are amazing!!! Thank you so much. Just fyi, the car rental place is in Dublin City, not at the airport.
I am assuming it still won't be that much longer, right? In the next few weeks I am going to plan more details and 
sights on the trip. I am soooo looking forward to your help.
Best,
Randee
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 9 Mar 2018 3:08 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hey Everyone! 

It's so warming to see everyone chipping in their ideas, and Áine's expert itinerary building skills! 

We're always on hand, so let us know if you need anything at all and we look forward to welcoming you to Ireland.

I'm also on the "Visit Aran Islands" bandwagon, they look incredible! So that's three people relying on you for pictures if you end up going, Randee! 😉
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 9 Mar 2018 6:49 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Randee, depending on where in the city it is, I would leave at least another 30 minutes for getting in there. Let me know whereabouts and I can give you a good estimate :-)
Have a lovely weekend!
Áine
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 3 Jul 2018 9:09 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Aine (so sorry, I can't seem to get the accent on your name!)-
I finally have some time to plan the details of my Ireland trip. Below is a list of hotels and dates of where we are staying and I would love any/all recommendations for sites and great local eateries and places to stop along the way between locations. I would like to limit the driving between destinations if possible, while still seeing a lot that there is to offer. I don't want to spend our entire trip in the car!
Here is my itinerary:
9/14-16 Dublin     Maldron (Kevin street)
9/16-17 Kilkenny     Mt Juliet Estate
9/17-18 East Cork    Ballymaloe
9/18-19 Bantry     Maritime Hotel
9/19-21 Killarney   Brehon Hotel
9/21-23  Galway    Gspa
9/23-24 Dublin
Thank you so much for all of your help!
Best,
Randee
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 4 Jul 2018 10:58 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Randee,

It's lovely to see that you have finalized your accommodation and now looking to firm up your itinerary in-between!

From Dublin to Kilkenny, a drive through County Wicklow and the Wicklow Mountains is a must. So many places to see, Blessington Lakes, Glendalough and Avaco to name but three.

Apart from the sights in Kilkenny, the Rock of Cashel and Cahir Castle on your journey over to East Cork would be on my to-do list before ending up with a visit to Cobh before the finish of the day.

The drive down towards Bantry is along the Wild Atlantic Way section called the Haven Coast. So many wonderful places to see that you will wish you could spend longer!

Another super part of the Way is the Southern Peninsulas, the Ring of Beara is a lesser-known drive but well worth the time. Again plenty to see as you follow the road, plenty of opportunities to stop and take a photo or two. From Kenmare through Molls Gap, and into Killarney National Park there is Torc Waterfall, Muckross House, and Ross Castle before stopping for the night at the Brehon Hotel.

If you wish to stay near the coast on your drive up towards Galway, then the Tarbert-Killimer ferry is an option. It leads straight into the delights of County Clare, the Cliffs of Moher, Doolin and the Aran Islands.

Your final day from Galway back to Dublin will take you passed Clonmacnoise, which Áine mentioned in her previous post. Definitely worth a stop, a beautiful place full of ancient history.

I hope these few tips have helped you in your itinerary choices, there is a lot to see and do but what you don't manage to see this trip you can save for your return visit! :)

Martin
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 4 Jul 2018 11:55 AM
View Quick Profile
Hello Randee, 
Great advice from Martin above...I can help if you wish not to drive too much.  We are the only company who has the shortest crossing to the Aran Islands - taking only 15 minutes from Doolin Pier on our new boat the Doolin Express.  You can enjoy a leisurely drive through the Burren from Galway and take an afternoon boat departing at 1pm to the Aran Island of Inis Oirr, returning at 4.45pm.  Then take our epic Cliffs of Moher cruise at 5.15pm for a Total Island & Cliffs experience...without driving!  Phone +353 65 707 5555 or email me if you require more information info@doolinferry.com.
Have a super trip.
Bill O Brien.
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/30-07-2018/74322e6b-6e0c-42ce-a6e5-5108.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 4 Jul 2018 12:09 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Randee, haha, don't worry about my "fada" it's an Irish accent! The name is pronounced "Awn-ya"  and means splendour/radiance/brilliance - you will meet lots of Áines in Ireland, it's a popular name related to the english Anne.  

I agree with all of Martin's suggestions, especially the Beara Peninsula in Cork - one of my favourite stretches of coast in Ireland. It's just so lonesome and beautiful!

Some ideas for you: 

9/14-16 Dublin     
The Maldron on Kevin Street is really close to St Patrick's Cathedral, Christchurch, Guinness Storehouse, Teelings Whiskey, Pearse Lyons Distillery and the main shopping street - Grafton Street. I love the Little Museum of Dublin on Stephen's Green, about a 15 minute walk from your hotel - it's really quirky and cute with interesting exhibits. There's a lovely place for lunch or brunch or a snack downstairs - Hatch & Sons, one of my favourite places to eat in the city!  Casual Irish cooking, really lovely. The National Gallery of Ireland is about 10 minutes from here and free entry, it's lovely if you're interested in art.Trinity College and the Book of Kells is about 5 minutes away from the National Gallery, at the bottom of Grafton Street, book ahead for the Book of Kells if you can as there is limited access and it's very popular. I really like The Pig's Ear and Chapter One for dinner. Camden/Wexford St is close to your hotel and has a huge array of restaurant options too - I love Delahunt and if you like Indian food then Pickle is a must visit - it's super! Pub grub in Dublin is great and any of the Irish music/dancing shows offer dinner too and are very good, I like The Merry Ploughboy and Johnny Foxes. You could take a day trip to the village of Howth on the DART (suburban train) along the coast and wander around this cute seaside town, enjoy a fresh seafood lunch or dinner and enjoy the incredible coastal scenery en route. 

9/16-17 Kilkenny    
Mt Juliet Estate is gorgeous, great choice of hotel and a great base to explore and enjoy Kilkenny city. The castle and the town itself are lovely and there are loads of great restaurants there depending on what you feel like at the time. It's a good "foodie" city. Stop off in The Tannery in Dungarvan on your way to Ballymaloe and enjoy the delights of Dungarvan town and coastline. If you were feeling energetic you could cycle some of the famous "Greenway"! 

9/17-18 East Cork    Ballymaloe
You're going to be spoiled in Ballymaloe! It's super special and the food is divine! They have a real passion for ingredients and local produce. The Farmgate is lovely for lunch but you're spoiled for choice in Midleton for food. Midleton Whiskey is there too of course. I would drive the N71 to Bantry, taking in Clonakilty, Rosscarbery and Leap. Vereing off the road to see the beautiful seaside village of Schull is also a good option. Afternoon tea and scones in the sunshine would be delightful there, breathing in the fresh wild Atlantic air!     
9/18-19 Bantry     Maritime Hotel
Agree with Martin re the route to Killarney - Beara is fabulous. Loads of small towns and villages to explore in the area. Kenmare is well worth a visit. 

9/19-21 Killarney   Brehon Hotel
Loads to do in Killarney, from the Lakes and Torc Waterfall to Muckross House and gardens. For food I really like Rozzers and Danu in your hotel.  There's great souvenir shopping in Killarney. Avoca at Moll's Gap is a nice place to visit and the scenery around here is unreal. Oh, and Murphy's ice-cream shop is a must visit!! Try to get out to Dingle and the Conor Pass if you can...

9/21-23  Galway   
The G is a lovely hotel and provides easy access to Connemara - a must visit while in the area. Again, loads of food options in Galway but I like Aniar for something special and John Keogh's and O'Grady's on the Pier are more casual but authentic
Drive from Galway to Dublin as before! 

I hope this helps! 

Áine 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 4 Jul 2018 12:11 PM
View Quick Profile
OH! I also agree with Bill, the Aran Islands would be amazing. Definitely try to do that when in Galway! 
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 11 Jul 2018 4:56 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi Randee! An update...
I hope you booked Delahunt in Camden Street already...the secret is out...it's just become the most popular place to eat in Dublin!!
HRH Prince Harry and the Duchess of Sussex (Meghan Markle) enjoyed lunch there today. 
(Delighted one of my recommendations got the Royal seal of approval...let's hope the others get yours!!) 
https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/30-07-2018/27f6585f-318a-41ba-9dc7-8610.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 28 Jul 2018 6:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Hey All!
Everyone has been so helpful and I truly appreciate it. A few more questions. Does anyone have
any recommendations for a wonderful, fun tour guide for a few hours in Dublin and to visit Trinity and the Book of Kells?
Also, our hotel in Dublin is the Maldron Hotel on Kevin street and our car rental is in Dublin City Centre at Q Park, Malborough St. Is that fairly close? We will not be picking up the car until we leave Dublin and head south. AND there
seems to be some controversy over Collision and Theft Insurance when renting a car. My credit card company
confidently told me, and sent me a letter, that I have coverage thru them when renting a car in Ireland. However,
other bloggers have said that sometimes the rental company makes up their own rules and won't honor the coverage that I have, should something happen! And the rental place wants to charge a fee almost as large as the car fee for this
insurance. Thoughts?
Randee