How can I go to Ireland and hire a car when older with a completely clean driving licence

How can I go to Ireland and hire a car when older with a completely...

Author
Posted Mon 2 Apr 2018 12:45 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
They no longer do ferries to Cork so cannot take my own car, but when I try to find a rental company at Cork airport who do not have a maximum age I get no answer. Ireland is missing out a whole lot. I would go back every year if I could solve this problem and I am sure this applies to a lot of Irish people who come from the south west. When time is limited buses will not do. Clean licence my whole life, drive everyday in London. Drive often in Crete. I have no wish to arrive at Cork airport to be told I cannot hire a car. Apparently the Irish tourist board don’t want to address this problem. Please let me know if you have any solution.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 2 Apr 2018 11:39 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Oonagh,

It is unfortunate that Cork no longer receives ferries, have you however, considered sailing into Rosslare and taking the wonderfully scenic drive to Cork? It takes about 2 hours 30 minutes but is well worth the time as you will pass through some wonderful towns and locations on the way!

With regard to renting a car, we have a previous community post on renting over the age of 75 that has some excellent information. We also have an article on Renting a car in Ireland that has some information regarding additional medical information required by rental car companies prior to arrival in the country.

I would also suggest contacting the Car Rental Council of Ireland who will be best able to advise on information regarding rental companies. 

I'm sure many of our members will be able to offer some advise too,

Martin
Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 2 Apr 2018 11:46 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thank you Martin, but when one has only a long weekend, going to Rosslare to drive for more than 4 hours when it’s only just over 2 from Cork does not make it much fun! I will open your links however. Thank you for the suggestions. Very useful
. Oonagh
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 29 Jul 2018 6:38 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 9:23 AM Visits: 13.9K
Hello, Oonagh.

Did you have the opportunity to visit Cork? I'd love to hear more about your trip to Ireland, so feel free to share tips you may have for others visiting the Emerald Isle.

Hoping you have a wonderful day,

Francesco