Travel for 3 weeks in Ireland travelling from Belfast to Dublin around the coast

Travel for 3 weeks in Ireland travelling from Belfast to Dublin around...

Author
Posted Fri 15 Jun 2018 3:43 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi
I and my wife are ( were ) thinking of touring Ireland for the last three weeks of July.
Started to plan now but am becoming concerned about a couple of things,  we would probably cut back across Galway to Dublin. ( done the south by bike)

1. Midges in July - pretty bad?
2.Very busy travel season - we would plan to both wild camp and stay in campervan parks
3.Some very narrow roads.

Can anyone advise please.
Many Thanks
Mike

Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 16 Jun 2018 9:24 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
Hi Mike,

Great to hear you're planning to travel around Ireland. Ah, the midges. :) Yes, there are midges in Ireland indeed, but they tend to come out in swarms mostly during warm humid periods, especially after rain on a warm summer's day. I wouldn't say they are particularly bad, but I would advise you to use some of the readily available measures to prevent any biting, especially if you are sensitive to them.

Although there are some narrow roads indeed, generally speaking any area where there are sites that have space for motorhomes will have suitable roads. There are plenty of places throughout Ireland where it is possible to stop overnight with a motorhome, take a look at this link to an article on our website about Caravan and Camping culture. There, you will find a link to Camping Ireland's web page, which has loads of information on sites available, and they also have a free app which you can download.

I would advise you to book at least the first and the last night, just to make sure you have a guaranteed spot to sleep after arriving and before travelling home again. It can be quite busy of course, so perhaps it's an idea to check a few nights in advance how busy it is in the area you want to go.

Wild camping is not uncommon around the country, just be aware that there may be by-laws prohibiting wild camping in certain areas or times of the year. Total Camping Ireland has some more information you may find useful.

There are some threads that cover some similar topics with more information:I'm sure our community members will have some more helpful suggestions too.

Good luck with planning!

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 16 Aug 2018 9:01 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)Community Expert (22.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 2:22 PM Visits: 13.9K
Hi, Mike.

How was touring our green island?
I hope you and your wife have had the opportunity to visit many tourist attractions. I would like to invite you to create another thread within our Tell your story forum and share your trip experience with us. I'm sure that the rest of our community would be interested in hearing about any tips and suggestions you may have.

Have a great day!

Francesco