George Webb-Butler to Bishop of Cloyne.

George Webb-Butler to Bishop of Cloyne.

Author
Posted Mon 21 Jan 2019 2:20 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Geraldine,

This breakthrough is super exciting! Thanks so much for sharing it here. :D 

Great question about the possible name change! I am not sure if this is the case myself, so hopefully one of our genealogy experts or members can shed some light on it. 

As always, I'd love to hear about your findings, and please don't hesitate to post additional questions here. :)

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 25 Jan 2019 8:52 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello again, I am crushed!. Have found John Webb (1901  census) and John Joseph Webb (1911 census ) are the same person. But not my uncle George.! 
John Joseph was the real name of the butler to Bishop of Cloyne and then he became butler to a doctor in Stephen,s Green, Dublin. Married in1912. Two children. Died at age 87. Buried in Glasnevin. He was born to John Webb and Eliza Kenny , Enfield, Meath. 
I would think his family and mine and another in Meath are cousins and descended   from my 4xtimes great-grandfather William Webb.

But no sign of George. ! I have his baptismal record and family history says he was butler in south of Ireland. He never married and returned home to Killeen on holidays. That is it.

Feel so stupid. Have searched and searched and have been following wrong person.!

Geraldine.

Profile Picture
Posted Sat 26 Jan 2019 12:29 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Who is the George Webb who appears as a witness in petty sessions court in the findmypast index?There is no sign of him in the 1901 or 1911 censuses
Webb Geo——1897Ireland, Petty Sessions Court Registers Meath, Ireland.
Webb Geo——1913Ireland, Petty Sessions Court Registers Meath, Ireland x 3

There is a record of the death of a George Webb in Dunshaughlin in 1883 aged 71...George Snr? 
I've searched the censuses using "butler" only ...there are a lot of butlers! No George unfortunately.
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 26 Jan 2019 1:10 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi, George Webb died 1883 is father of the George I am searching for. My 2xtimes grandfather. George (1913) is my grandfather. George (1897)have to check that one. Geraldine.
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 26 Jan 2019 1:20 PM
View Quick Profile
So why is he in Dunshaughlin in 1897 and 1913 for a court case but not in the census. Could he be living in England or the US? 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 26 Jan 2019 8:42 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello, again, George (1897) and George 1913 are two different people. George (1913) is my grandfather.

George (1897) is witness in court case in Athboy, Meath. No details of where he lived.
I think the George I am seeking (b. 1859) Killeen, Meath might have been in England at time of census. As he was a butler this could be likely. My information on him comes from my grandfather,s niece. Her mother was born 1890 and she remembered him coming home to Killeen to visit.
George had four brothers and one sister and I have lots of details on all of them. Have to keep on searching. Geraldine.

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 27 Aug 2019 5:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello again,
Think I may have found something here.
GEORGE WEBB - born 1859-died 1900. Whitechapel, London.
As George was a butler in south of Ireland (possibly Bruree House) and he may have travelled to London with the family. While there he may have died.

Does anybody know how I could obtain more details of this record? Nationality, Religion, County of Origin.

Don't know if copy of Death Cert. would contain these.

Geraldine.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 28 Aug 2019 1:18 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)Community Member (12.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 17
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 20 Feb 2023 3:15 PM Visits: 1.1K
It's all getting quite exciting Geraldine!

A great place to start looking would be the 1891 census, which I couldn't help but have a quick browse through. Plenty of Georges, one of them on page 2 even a Valet, but unfortunately the wrong DOB. Another one is listed as Housekeeper, but also not quite the right DOB and I've not gone on to check the rest, there are 487 mentioned in just the county of London!

However, census takers weren't always the most accurate. I know that for quite a few years in my own family we were trying to figure out the mystery of the two wives! So it's worthwhile to check out a few of the Georges that are listed with a DOB that isn't quite what you're looking for. For instance there's a George Webb on page 6 that's a Butler, but his DOB is listed as 1864.

One thing to still keep in mind is that if George worked away and only came home for the holidays, that he may have told his family he was a butler because it sounded right and honourable as an occupation and could explain his travels and perhaps the money he had which enabled him to travel home for the holidays.

Hopefully you'll find a good link to him through the UK census!

Warm regards,
Cornelia

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 11 Aug 2020 7:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello again, I am back and still on trail of elusive ancestor George Webb. 
Now, I thought I had found him in Whitechapel,London and got a Death Cert. But no-this George was Englishborn and a Thames Waterman and C.of E. The only new clues I have are that one of his nieces worked as a housemaid in Kilkenny Castle. (Roughly 1914/1928) so if he worked here he may have helped her get this job.
It is interesting that he may not have been a butler but just told the family this.! I had wondered about this as all the C.of Ireland families employed as their "top servants" mainly English/Scottish people. So, if he was indeed a butler it could have been to a Catholic family. But he did have cooking skills as the little bit I know of him says "when he came home to Killeen he would make lovely things to eat."Another thing I thought people did not get holidays in those days.! 
Will look at 1891 Census again.!
Geraldine.

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 12 Aug 2020 9:56 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hello Geraldine,

It's so good to have you back again!

Your search for your great-great-uncle has certainly been an exciting one! Reading through your journey so far, it's clear just how passionate you are about your ancestry.

You mentioned in your first post that you feel your uncle was mostly forgotten, but I would say that you're proving just how loved and cared for he is, even all of these years later. Even if you haven't found him yet, I'm sure that he would appreciate just how much effort you've put into this search.

Thank you for sharing this update and I am greatly looking forward to hearing more. If I may offer just a small word of encouragement, while it might seem like a small clue, every new piece of information is a piece of the puzzle you didn't have before. The picture is getting a bit clearer and I, personally, can't wait to see what you uncover next.

Kindest regards,

Rochelle