I'm really keen on gardening, are there any garden tours I can follow?

I'm really keen on gardening, are there any garden tours I can follow?...

Author
Posted Tue 3 Jul 2018 10:19 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Absolutely, with our temperate climate, touring our gardens is more than just a nice thing to do, it’s a must! Here are just a few of our favourite trails… 

What better place to start than the ‘Garden of Ireland’ itself, County Wicklow with a one-day tour, courtesy of Johns Tours Of Ireland. This tour starts from Dublin and explores some of the finest gardens of Ireland’s Ancient East, including Powerscourt House and Estate, voted amongst the greatest in the world by National Geographic Magazine, and Mount Usher, an outstanding Robinsonian wild garden – if time and energy permits, see Kilmacurragh, the property of the National Botanic Gardens before heading back to Dublin.   

Still in Ireland’s Ancient East, is the Carlow Garden Trail. Simply download the map and take the self-guided trail to the glorious greens of Altamont Gardens, the Delta Sensory Gardens, Huntington Castle and Borris House, amongst others. 

Northern Ireland has a huge array of horticultural gems, from the 400-year-old Antrim Castle Gardens and Carnfunnock Walled Garden to the Glenarm Castle Estate, Castle Ward Gardens and Florence Court – each more outstanding than the next.    

On a city break? You can still escape the skyscrapers and busy streets with a wander around Belfast’s Botanic Gardens or take a picnic basket to the always beautiful National Botanic Gardens of Ireland just outside Dublin City for an afternoon surrounded by beautiful flora and fauna.  

For something a little different, visit the Seaforde Gardens in County Down and check out their heated jungle at the Tropical Butterfly House. Or, for something more classical try Kylemore Abbey in County Galway. This Victorian walled garden is renowned for its stunning collection of plant varieties from this era only!  

Do any other community members have any suggestions we missed?  

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/03-07-2018/a3ca1ffa-5687-474f-8cb4-c990.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 12 Nov 2019 11:52 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hello, Laura here from Brigit's Garden in Co. Galway. This is my first time posting and I would like to give a bit of information about the Garden.
Brigit's Garden is located 25 minutes outside of Galway City on the N59 road to Connemara. We have 11 acres of native woodland and wildflower meadows, and 4 landscaped Gardens designed by Mary Reynolds (Chelsea Garden Show winner). The Gardens are based on the 4 Celtic festivals of Samhain, Imbolc, Bealtaine and Lughnasa.
At the time of posting (early November) we are celebrating the festival of Samhain (pronounced Sow-en) or Halloween. Traditionally this marked the beginning of the yearly cycle for Celtic peoples.This was a time of death and the promise of re-birth, a time for stillness and reflection. It was understood that in the dark silence comes whisperings of new beginnings, the stirring of the seed beneath the ground. In the Samhain Garden the long bank in the shape of a sleeping woman represents the earth resting for the winter. Her body shelters a still pool with a female figure cast in bronze resting on an island. The pool is enclosed in a ring of birch trees, reflecting the stark simplicity of the season. This is a place to be still, dream and prepare for the movement of spring.  In summer, the earth woman wears a dress of wild flowers and grasses. I hope this gives you an idea of the spirit of the Garden.
You are welcome to visit throughout the year and we are open daily from 10am - 5.30pm. The Garden Café is delicious too with plenty of vegetarian options and sweet homemade treats. We are a not-for-profit charity and a resource for our community so your support is of incredible importance to us.
Hope to see you here!
Warmest regards,
Laura, Brigit's Garden

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 9 Dec 2019 4:17 PM
View Quick Profile
Hi there,
Ireland has some of the most beautiful gardens in the world! The above suggestions are really nice. 

We also have a fantastic gardening tour of Ireland that might interest you:
https://www.special-ireland.com/group-tours/gardens-of-ireland-tour/gardens-ireland-tour/
Its a 6 day tour that visits the best gardens in Ireland;  Mount Stewart House & Gardens, Loughcrew Gardens and Mount Usher Gardens to name but a few! Do get in touch if you need any further assistance, I'd be happy to help.

Thanks,
Deirdre
Specialized Travel Services
https://www.special-ireland.com/

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 10 Dec 2019 11:14 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Thanks so much for these wonderful tips, Dee! I'm sure they will come in handy for many members planning their trip. :) Feel free to share more of your expertise and knowledge with us here on the Community.

We've got a lovely Christmas thread at the moment where everybody is sharing their Ireland dream gifts, trips or activities for the holiday season, so feel free to contribute your own there as well! :)
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 10 Dec 2019 7:54 PM
View Quick Profile
Some great suggestions for Northern Ireland but can I add a couple more? Another gem run by the National Trust is Rowallane Garden. There's a wonderful walled garden as well as the woodland walk and rock garden and it's a really inspiring place for any gardener. Rowallane lies  just outside Saintfield, a 20 minute drive from Belfast. Bangor Castle Walled Garden has been mentioned elsewhere but it's a lovely space  and, as a gardening novice, I always find some great ideas that I can use in my own garden