English - Irish Translation

English - Irish Translation

Author
Posted Wed 11 Jul 2018 10:04 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi everyone. Sorry to bother you but I had a question. I have been looking at getting a tattoo in irish gaelic because my grandfather passed away a couple years ago and I wanted something for him. 

When i was little he always used to say the phrase "May the wind be always at your back" and I was wondering if someone could translate that into Gaelic. 

I have tried to look around myself but I didn't find anything trust worthy and I dont feel like the auto translators do a good job so I figured I'd ask. Thanks!
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 11 Jul 2018 12:56 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 6 hours ago Visits: 13.9K
Hi Danny!

It's a nice idea to have a tattoo in memory of your grandfather!
That phrase is part of an old Irish blessing:

"May the road rise to meet you.
May the wind be ever at your back. 
May the sun shine warm upon your face, 
and the rains fall soft upon your fields. 
And until we meet again, 
may God hold you in the palm of his hand."

I'm sure there are members of our Community who will help you in translating the phrase above. In the meantime, we have a thread where you may find helpful information. Once you got it, don't hesitate to upload a photo of your tattoo! 

Have a great day.

Francesco