Question - re Ease of On Our Own - no Pre Booked tour

Question - re Ease of On Our Own - no Pre Booked tour

Author
Posted Mon 23 Jul 2018 4:44 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello

Looking to travel to Ireland from Canada in Spring of 2019. My mom has days where she is a little slower getting up due to some health issues. Most times she is fine - but the stress of a pre booked tour may be to much.

How easy is it to see the sites on our own ?

Any advice welcome. 
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 23 Jul 2018 5:59 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Cheryl,

It's so exciting that you are planning on travelling around the island next Spring with your mum! :) I'd love to tell you more about the options here. 

Have you thought about what you would like to see or do yet? Take a look at our favourite itineraries and sights and attractions for more inspiration. 

If you're thinking of taking the time and making your own way around the island, you could rent a car and travel at your own pace. You can find more tips and experiences from other members on the following threads: 
If you don't feel comfortable driving yourself, you could also decide to travel by public transport, or even hire a driver or chauffeur
In the following threads you can read more about other visitors travelling around by alternative forms of transportation: 
If there is anything else you need, please don't hesitate to get in touch. We're always here to help! 

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 2 Aug 2018 9:31 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Cheryl,

I hope you're both doing well.

I've just had a friend over from the States. She travelled by herself all over Ireland without planning much and found it really easy to organise things the same day or to get to places by herself. 

It's easy to drive and rent a car in Ireland as it's never too busy on the road. 

I wouldn't worry about pre-booking trips. You'll definitely be able to organise things the same day or find your own way to the tourist places. 

Hope this is helpful!
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 10 Aug 2018 11:11 PM
View Quick Profile
Greetings from Toronto. We just returned from a trip around the entire island that we organized and did on our own. Not sure the age of your mom but should you decide to go on your own you will be ok. The highways have little traffic so outside of adjusting to driving on the other side of the road (which is easier than one might think) that will be the only concern. And you don’t need to rent a micro sized vehicle.

Benefits of renting a car you can go at your own pace. I might suggest picking your hotels where the action is if mobility is a challenge.

Enjoy!

Melanie