County Mayo. The real conversation with locals.

County Mayo. The real conversation with locals.

Author
Posted Thu 2 Aug 2018 5:07 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
We went a few years ago to Ireland by plane and rented a car. We visited at first the west coast. Galway, Croagh Saint Patrick's and then up North.
We made a long walk in the fields near New port. We walked and walked with only the wind and sheeps around us.
We liked it there. We noticed little grey trees in the peat fields.
Then suddenly a car came 
A friendly man said 'howdie' to us. and he stopped the car.
His dog was sitting inside and sniffled.
We asked him about the little grey trees, maybe here was once a forest?
 "Yes". was al the man said .
"But how long ago was that," we asked.
"Well" he said thinking,"a few years ago" .
We talked a short time  about the peat and he friendly explained that the villagers where owner of the peat and the sheep.
 I wasn't satisfied with his answer about the trees. They pulverized when you touched it.
 So I asked him  how long ago there was a forest.
He was thinking again and said  "Ïn the Stone Age".

Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 2 Aug 2018 9:58 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hallo Elly. 

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story about the ancient trees! It sounds like you had a lovely walk with some very special encounters. :) 

We'd love to hear more about your trip from a few years ago. How far up north did you travel? 

Warm regards,

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 3 Aug 2018 9:06 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello Melin.
Thank you for your positive comment. Yes, I have a lot of stories to tell about our Ireland holiday.
The country and people are unique. They stole my heart.
Tonight I will write another story.

greetings
Elly
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 3 Aug 2018 10:34 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)Ireland Advocate (54.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Elly, 

We can't wait to hear more stories about your Ireland adventures! :) 

(Mocht je voorkeur uitgaan naar schrijven in het Nederlands dan is dat ook mogelijk. Onze Community heeft een vertaalfunctie zodat iedereen het kan lezen.)

Groeten, 

Melin