Ireland road trip

Ireland road trip

Author
Posted Sun 12 Aug 2018 10:06 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi members
We are two Australians in our 70s coming over to Ireland in May/June next year for approx. 2/3 weeks arriving at Dublin. We want to hire a car and would like some advice and information re travel routes etc. We are used to driving long distances in Australia as we have our own motorhome but we don't want to be driving the whole time and missing great places. I suppose we have to factor in winding roads which would slow us down a bit being unfamiliar with the areas.
Re hiring a car should we rent a GPS or buy one. We have our own and did think about downloading maps of Ireland but it might be too much trouble.
I have started researching places to stop and see but I am finding it a bit overwhelming as there are so many spectacular places and I just know if I plan a route we could be driving a lot and missing out on must-see spots.
I am hoping some members can make it easier for me with a few road trip route suggestions, whether to go north first and around or south then north.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Ann

Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 13 Aug 2018 5:03 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Ann, 

It's so exciting you're planning on exploring the Emerald Isle next summer! I completely understand it can be quite overwhelming to plan your first trip yourself as there is so much to see and do. Luckily you've got plenty of time to create your itinerary, and I would love to provide you with some tips and ideas.

Renting a car is a great way to make your way around the island at your own pace. I would definitely take the time to explore each area you would like to visit, and leave some extra time to be able to make an unplanned detour. First of all I would start of with what you would like to see and do, so you can plan the best route between those options. What did you have in mind so far, or is there anything in particular you wouldn't want to miss?

Take a look at our Trip Hub for our favourite road trips with suggestions on how long to stay in a particular area. This way you'll have an indication on how long the drive will take and where to stop. You can find more inspiration and ideas on our Destinations page as well. 
Most car rental companies will be able to provide you with a fully set up GPS system as well, so you wouldn't need to download anything yourself. 

Lastly, take a look at the following thread from James as well. There are some very helpful tips and resources on how to create your own itinerary. 

- How many things can I realistically fit into one trip

If there is anything you need, please don't hesitate to get in touch. We're always here to help! :)

Warm regards,

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 15 Aug 2018 5:24 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi Merlin
Thanks for your prompt reply. I neglected to say that we would already have been road tripping in Scotland and England previous to arriving in Ireland and that is why I wanted other travellers tips.
I will take a look at your Trip Hub and other past messages through this community section.
As regards GPS whilst hiring a car, we have decided to purchase and download the relevant maps for the UK and Ireland for our Navman that we have in Australia. It certainly seems cheaper than paying the daily cost over the 6 weeks we will be driving in Scotland, England and Ireland.
Thanks Ann

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 15 Aug 2018 10:48 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)Community Expert (70.5K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Fri 12 Jul 2024 10:38 AM Visits: 13.4K
Hi Ann,

It sounds like you are in for quite an adventure with a 6-week driving tour!

The GPS download would indeed be a wonderful idea considering your tour, although, getting lost sometimes leads to wonderful adventures you may well have missed.

We have a previous post by Lesley Molly on a road trip around Ireland which has some wonderful itinerary suggestions too. Please take a look and see if the suggestions from our fellow members and industry partners that would fit in with your plans.

Within our trip ideas Melin mentioned, there is one, in particular, 12-day trip around Ireland that again may be very useful in planning your itinerary.

I hope this gives you lots of inspiration, and I'm sure your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add to this list!

If you need any more help, just let me know!

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 16 Jul 2019 9:42 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)Community Member (39.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 5 Silver Achievements 8 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 10 May 2024 11:23 AM Visits: 10.1K
Hi Ann,

So how was the road trip?! 

We cannot wait to hear about it.