Want to see Ireland’s Ancient East in all its autumnal glory? Here’s where to go…

Want to see Ireland’s Ancient East in all its autumnal glory? Here’s...

Author
Posted Wed 15 Aug 2018 3:16 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
The beauty of the island of Ireland is highlighted in autumn when the leaves begin the turn and the air is crisp. Lucky for you, we’ve some great spots to visit during this pretty season and they’re easy to access from Dublin.

Head south from the city and dive right into Ireland’s Ancient East with some of the most beautiful gardens on the island. Explore the elegant Powerscourt Gardens, world famous and bursting with colour and quirky features (pet cemetery, anyone?). For a real treat, make sure you take a stroll to the nearby Powerscourt Waterfall. Or, visit County Carlow’s Altamont Gardens and treat your senses to a walk through the beautiful walled garden here.

Fancy communing with nature? County Wicklow’s Glendalough is a must-visit during this season. Throw on your boots and take to the Wicklow Way, which leads you to a spectacular viewing point of the ‘“valley of two lakes” with the surrounding hills glowing with shades of burnt orange and red.

Autumn is a great time to check out some festivals. Try Wexford Festival Opera in Wexford town, one of the world’s leading opera festivals. Get mellow at the Cork Jazz Festival or check out the delicious Savour Kilkenny festival in this medieval city for some mouthwatering local produce and wonderful wine tasting.

Speaking of food, make a pit stop at Avoca Village in County Wicklow, home to one of Ireland’s oldest mills, and browse through their display of delicate ceramics, stunning artwork and their famous handmade scarves, rugs and throws, each one more eye-catching than the last and perfect for keeping out that autumn chill. Then finish your visit by indulging in one of their scrumptious homemade pies!

Of course, Ireland’s Ancient East is renowned for its castles so don’t miss the opportunity to stop by some of these historic wonders. Roam around the formidable Trim Castle in County Meath before rounding your journey off with a stay at the ultimate castle hotel – Castle Leslie, in the lush green landscapes of County Monaghan.

Have you visited this magical part of the island during autumn? Share your tips with our community members!

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/15-08-2018/1a233551-5af6-440e-b462-fdcf.jpg

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 2 Jan 2022 5:45 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 2 Jan 2022 5:43 AM Visits: 1
This is beautiful . I want to go my dad went years ago!
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 2 Jan 2022 5:48 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)New Member (2 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 2
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 2 Jan 2022 5:43 AM Visits: 1
I guess I will have to take up golf again as golf is supposedly great in Ireland!
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 2 Jan 2022 7:15 PM
View Quick Profile
COMMUNITY EXPERT
COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)COMMUNITY EXPERT (358 reputation)
Gold Achievements 2 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 2:22 PM Visits: 658
Hi Susan,

Thank you for this wonderful run-down on what makes Ireland's Ancient East such a lovely region to visit. I'm sure that our fellow Community members will also enjoy reading this as they make plans to explore Ireland in 2022 and beyond.

Regards,
Eoin