I'm staying in Athlone but what is there to explore outside the town?

I'm staying in Athlone but what is there to explore outside the town?

Author
Posted Fri 7 Sep 2018 10:53 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Athlone is a vibrant hub of activity nestled in the heart of the island. With its stylish hotels, buzzing pub scene and array of high-street shops, Athlone is the perfect place to base yourself. Venture outside the town to discover watery wonderlands, beautiful countryside and a history that dates back to the 6th Century!

Whet your appetite for adventure with the exciting Bay Watersports, an inflatable waterpark sitting on the waters of Lough Ree just over 5km from the town centre (open during the warmer months of June, July and August). Then hop aboard the Viking Ship with Viking Mike and sail toward the fascinating Clonmacnoise Monastic Site, an ancient ruin that was once a leading centre of learning and religion in Europe.

Dotted around the outskirts of the town are plenty of charming villages full of character and colour. Stop by the cosy village of Glasson for a four-star dining experience on the water’s edge at the picturesque Wineport Lodge, or take a short drive south to Lecarrow and stretch your legs along the enchanting Rinn Dúinn Castle Loop trail.

What better way to go exploring than by bike? Hire a two-wheeler in the town and hit the open road on a 42km Greenway that stretches across the rolling landscape of the midlands all the way to Mullingar. Alter the journey to suit you, with the Athlone to Moate trail less than 10km it is perfect for any fitness level. Make sure to visit Dún na Sí Amenity & Heritage Park along this route for a walk through stunning parklands and natural beauty down every dusty path, a real treasure of Ireland's Ancient East.

So there you have it, step outside your comfort zone with Athlone!

Any other Community members have any suggestions?

https://d2b4i25io5fq3v.cloudfront.net/07-09-2018/4fdf5857-f63f-47a8-a852-0ea9.jpg