Horse Racing & Children

Horse Racing & Children

Author
Posted Sat 29 Sep 2018 2:28 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello - my wife and I are planning our first trip overseas with children age 10 and 12.  We hope that they fall in love with travel to other places as much as we have in our lives.  Horses are a big part of their life with Pony Club and hunting.  Along with the riding on our vacation I would love to take them to experience thoroughbred racing in Ireland.  Is there a minimum age to attend the races?  Thank you so much - cannot wait for our vacation!!!
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 29 Sep 2018 6:12 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Ron,

It is so exciting that you and your family are planning on exploring Ireland! You can find loads of horses, ponies and equestrian activities here, and I am more than happy to give you some recommendations. :)

When are you planning on visiting us? Take a look at this thread about horse racing for more information on upcoming events. Children are welcome at most races, and they even have special family events

I also recommend a visit to the National Stud. You can see and learn all about the famous horses and history of this special stable and walk through the beautiful Japanese Gardens. Definitely a lovely day out for the whole family. 

Have you planned any tours on horseback yet? I am sure you and your family will love the Connemara ponies. :) 

Let us know if there is anything else you need or want to know. We're always here to help!

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 8 Oct 2018 2:13 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi Ron,

I hope you have a wonderful trip to Ireland, there is plenty to see and do along a 'horsey' theme here. You can get a list of the race meetings at the Horse Racing Ireland website www.hri.ie and there are meetings somewhere in Ireland on most days of the year. The races are great for children, mine are 9, 7 and 3 and they love a day out at the races. If you are going to Northern Ireland, Shean's Horse Farm near the Giants Causeway is lovely.  If you are in Dublin, there are schools around Fingal and Malahide, you may be able to go riding on the beach there in North County Dublin. There are lots of places around the country though.

Have a great trip!

Sandra.