I love the idea of being lady of the manor - can I do that in Ireland's big houses?

I love the idea of being lady of the manor - can I do that in...

Author
Posted Thu 29 Nov 2018 9:44 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
You may have noticed that Ireland is home to a few magnificent castles and manor houses. They’ve played an important role in Ireland’s history; they were where battles were fought, political meetings were held and clans gathered. Now, they’re open to the public for people to visit and stay, but with so many to choose from, and all of them surrounded by beautiful landscapes, it’ll be hard to decide which one to visit first!

If you’re interested in history, then look no further than Ashford Castle in County Mayo. This is one of the oldest castles on our island, dating back to the 11th century, and open as a hotel since 1915! You’ll never run out of things to do here as the 350 acre estate boasts a golf course, cycle track and a lake where you can kayak or sail around the estate at your leisure. Countless guests have stayed within this lavish estate, including John Lennon and Oscar Wilde!

If you want something more personal, why not stay with the lord and lady themselves? Lord and Lady Erne still reside within Crom Castle in County Fermanagh and have allowed people a peek into their ancestral home, so not only can you live like a Lady, you can befriend one too!

Similarly, in Clonalis House in County Roscommon, you can meet the descendants of the last high kings of Ireland, the O’Conors, as Marguerite and Pyers O’Conor Nash have resided there for the past thirty years. Marguerite also provides homemade tasty treats for you to enjoy while you relax in their opulent home and its breathtaking surroundings.

But why stop there? There are numerous other castles and manor houses for you to choose from when you visit! Do our community members have any other great suggestions of fantastic places to stay in Ireland?