First time to Ireland

First time to Ireland

Author
Posted Fri 11 Jan 2019 3:45 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I'm planning a trip to Ireland in June for myself, my son and mom. My son feels a tour would be too restricting, we would like to see Blarney Castle, the Cliffs of Moher, Galway, Killarney, etc. What is the easiest way to get around Ireland?  Should we rent a car? Take the railway? Is it difficult to navigate? 

Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 11 Jan 2019 6:44 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)Community Expert (22.6K reputation)
Gold Achievements 6 Silver Achievements 6 Bronze Achievements 34
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Yesterday @ 5:40 PM Visits: 13.9K
Hi, Jennifer.

It's exciting that you're planning a trip for the first time over here! 

Renting a car and taking a road trip around Ireland is certainly a great choice, as the country is small and easy to navigate. We have highways and rural roads, and this will allow you to explore the touristy places as well as discover the hidden gems of the island. Since there's plenty of breathtaking views and scenic landscapes, please have a little browse through our trip ideas page that has loads of cool itineraries. 

Alternatively, travelling by train in Ireland is an option to consider as, in my experience, it makes the journey very pleasant and relaxing. Please have a look at this thread, where you can find Railtours Ireland offers and packages that may suit you the best.

How long have you planned to stay?

Francesco
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 11 Jan 2019 7:10 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
We plan to stay about 9-10 days. My concern was the driving in a foreign country and the difficulty navigating from area to another. 
Profile Picture
Posted Sat 12 Jan 2019 11:21 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)Community Expert (70.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Mon 22 Apr 2024 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Jennifer,

It can indeed be tricky trying to get used to driving in unfamiliar surroundings but be assured, while you may get lost a few times, you will always be greeted with help and advice and sometimes a super hidden gem you may well have missed!

It is possible to rent a GPS with your car rental, please check with your rental provider for costs and details. That said, most smartphones have google maps or a similar app, and these work quite well on the island of Ireland.

We have some useful information on travelling by road that you may wish to have a look at. The road signs to all tourist attractions will be brown so easy to follow for all of the popular routes.

The Haven Coast, Southern Peninsulas and Cliff Coast sections of the Wild Atlantic Way are great places to visit and you will have plenty to see and do in your 6-8 days with us.

I hope this helps, and I'm sure your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add some advice too! 

If you need any more help, just let me know. 

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 14 Jan 2019 12:06 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)Industry Member (3.3K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 18
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Thu 14 Dec 2023 3:10 PM Visits: 240
Hi Jennifer,

Have you thought about a small group tour? Our tours are flexible and visit all of the places you have listed above with a maximum of 16 people on a tour! You will have a tour guide to bring you off the beaten track to show you all the hidden gems of Ireland that you may not be able to find. 

We have two types of tours, our Vagabond Adventure tours which are active and fast paced and our Driftwood Journeys of Discovery which are more of a relaxed pace. Our tours are extremely flexible giving you choice on what activities you wish to do on them. We have five Vagabond tours and five Driftwood tours varying on how many days you wish to spend with us and where in the country you want to visit. If you check out our website you will find your desired destinations on our tours and full itineraries on what you will be doing.  
https://vagabondtoursofireland.com/

If you have any questions about our tours please don't hesitate to get in touch. Also check out our website if you need inspiration on where to visit.

We hope you have a fantastic time here in Ireland.

The Vagabond Team