Travelling with teenager

Travelling with teenager

Author
Posted Wed 6 Mar 2019 10:09 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hello Community,

I am planning a 10-12 days trip in August with my teenage son (15), who has some physical handicaps and needs a wheelchair for longer walks. My son doesn't like to change accommodation and would like to stay at one, max. two places.  I had thought of flying to Shannon or Cork, find a place to stay and take day trips.  Can someone recommend which town/village would be suitable for day trips and what would be interesting to see for a teenager?  In any case, I had planned to visit Dingle Bay, maybe we will be lucky and get to see some dolphins? 

Any recommendation and idea will be appreciated.  Thank you. 

Sandra

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 7 Mar 2019 11:39 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
Hi Sandra,

August is a super time to visit and a 10-12 day trip a wonderful duration to be able to see plenty of the south and southwest of the country!

Either Cork or Shannon would be suitable to fly into, giving access to both places for the initial start of your time with us. It would also be possible to take day trips from either location to explore more of the Wild Atlantic Way or Ireland's Ancient East.

Cork has plenty to see and do in and around the area, please have a look and see if there is something that would be of interest to you and your son. The Haven Coast section of the Wild Atlantic Way has some beautiful seascapes and a lovely drive too.

Shannon is a super base for the Cliff Coast section, plenty of locations to visit before moving down to Killarney as a possible second base as there is less travelling involved getting to Dingle than from either Cork or Shannon. We have a super accommodation search page which may be of interest. I have pre-selected Killarney to get you started, please feel free to change the location and also use the drop-down menu to select a suitable type to best suit your needs.

We have some previous community posts regarding disabilities which may be of interest to you, Accessible Ireland and also Disabled & Visiting.

I hope this gives you lots of inspiration, and  I'm sure your fellow members and some industry partners will be able to add to this list!

If you need any more help, just let me know!

Martin