2 sisters

2 sisters

Author
Posted Mon 18 Mar 2019 8:53 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi,

My sister & I are taking a girls trip this summer flying into Dublin from Toronto. We are spending 2 weeks on the island with 4 days in Dublin to start us off. I've been to Dublin before, so I know the attractions to see there. 

My question is... seeing as how we will have to take public transportation everywhere...is there a central town or 2 or 3 to stay in after Dublin that has good transportation to different sites that we can use as a home base?  We plan to stay in Airbnb's if we can.

As far as sites... Galway, Cork, Cliffs of Moher, maybe even a couple days in Belfast if there's time. And everything in-between, lol.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 18 Mar 2019 12:02 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)Industry Member (29.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 19
Northern Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Yesterday @ 3:02 PM Visits: 2.4K
Hi Tracy,

I am delighted to hear that you and your sister will be visiting Ireland during the Summer.  Great choice!

You mention seeing Belfast and everything in between if there's time!  Might I encourage you to explore the Causeway Coast and Glens on the North Coast of Northern Ireland.  You could still base yourselves in Belfast and get the train to Coleraine.  From there you could then take the 172/402 Rambler bus service to explore some of the attractions the area has to offer.  Central in the route is the Giant's Causeway, Northern Ireland's only UNESCO World Heritage Site, with its hexagonal-shaped, basalt stones and columns.  Some of the other must see attractions in the area include the Bushmills Distillery, Carrick-a-Rede Rope Bridge and Dunluce Castle.  You can find out more about what to see and do in the Causeway Coast and Glens by downloading a copy of our Visitor Guide - available from our website. https://www.visitcausewaycoastandglens.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Causeway-Coast-and-Glens-Visitor-Guide-2019.pdf

If you have any further questions about the area, Coleraine Visitor Information Centre will be happy to help.

I hope you have an enjoyable trip!
Alison

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 18 Mar 2019 4:04 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Tracy, 

It is so exciting that you and your sister will be visiting us this summer! :D Being here for two weeks will give you a lot of time to explore the island. 

I'm happy to hear you've visited Dublin before, and this way you can show your sister your favourite attractions. :) What did you have in mind so far? 

Like Alison already mentioned, staying in Belfast is a great way to explore the Causeway Coastal route, as well as the Mourne Mountains, the walled city of Derry-Londonderry and much more. Public transport to these areas is available from the city centre, where you can also find loads to see and do

Another option is Galway, as it is super easy to venture out to the Wild Atlantic Way from there. You can also find many different tours from here that can take you to the Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Aran Islands and many other destinations, as well as normal bus connections. 

You can also choose between Cork and Limerick to see more of the southern part of the west coast. Is there anything else there that you wouldn't want to miss? 

I know there are a lot of options, so please don't hesitate to reach out if there is anything you need. :)

Warm regards,

Melin

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 18 Mar 2019 8:40 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Thank you so much. Very interested in Galway. It seems like a good base for southern Ireland. I really want to see what a peat moor is. I hear a lot about it (can we dig for peat bodies lol! That's probably stereotypical like Americans think Canadians leave their dog sleds at the border 😂). And I've read a lot about the turbulent history of the north in the 80s & 90s. I'm a big history buff so seeing all the historical attractions is of interest to me. Our maternal great grandparents came straight from Ireland to Cape Breton. And I'm sure Ireland has lamp posts older than Canada so I find it surreal.

Thank you for the suggestions and so excited now to start planning.

Tracy
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 20 Mar 2019 2:57 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hi Tracy, 

Galway is a great base, especially if you're interested in peat! Make sure to go on a trip to Connemara's National Park, where you can choose from 3 different trails that take you through preserved bog and peat landscapes. The walks are all different in length, and along the way you have a big chance of running into friendly donkeys, sheep and of course the famous Connemara Ponies. :) 

Since you're fond of history, I highly recommend checking out Ireland's Ancient East as well. From Dublin you can easily explore places like Glendalough and Newgrange, which you can reach via public transport or by tour. 

You'll also find lots of history in Belfast and Derry-Londonderry. Make sure to check out Belfast's Titanic history, the Victorian Crumlin Road Gaol (the tours are super interesting) and the Ulster Museum (only closed on Mondays, and free!). Both Belfast and Derry-Londonderry have black taxi tours with knowledgeable drivers available, and then there are of course Derry-Londonderry's medieval walls. 

It's also great to hear about your Irish roots! Will you be doing any research while you're here? 

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Wed 20 Mar 2019 9:03 PM
View Quick Profile
Thank you so much for responding Melin. Yes...our roots are buried deep in the Emerald Isle so one of the reasons we picked it for our sisters vacation.

Not sure I'll have time to do much research. Might have to save that for another trip. Yes...I think Galway is definitely a place to home base and maybe base the last days of our trip in Belfast. My sister is super excited to go overseas and I spent almost a week in Dublin with my husband a couple of years ago so can muddle my way around there to show her the sights (Guiness Factory being her first choice lol)

So I'm happily starting to plan!!🍺🍺🍺🍺

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 21 Mar 2019 9:35 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hello Tracy, 

That's wonderful news! It's great to hear the plans are coming along, and please feel free to reach out here if there is anything else you need. :)

If you would like to do some research into your Irish roots from home, check out this helpful thread, as well as the Ireland Family History Facebook page for more tips and resources. 

Also, we'd love to hear more about your experiences on the island this summer, so keep us posted on your adventures! :) 

Warm regards,

Melin