I can't wait to visit Powerscourt Estate, but what else can I do in County Wicklow?

I can't wait to visit Powerscourt Estate, but what else can I do in...

Author
Posted Thu 21 Mar 2019 9:37 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
What an excellent choice! The Powerscourt Estate in County Wicklow has been voted one of the top gardens in the world by National Geographic, so if you have a love of horticulture, you’re in for a treat! The gardens stretch over 47 acres, so you can while away the afternoon visiting all of the gardens on offer here. Visiting in springtime is a must, as the flowers will be in full bloom and the beauty of the gardens will be unparalleled. Take a walk around the Japanese Gardens where lanterns will guide your path, and don’t forget to toss a coin into the wishing well for good luck!

Powerscourt House is just as compelling as its gardens, so be sure to pop in to take a look around while you’re there. Built in 1741, the 1st Viscount of Powerscourt transformed the medieval castle into the stunning example of architecture that you see today. Within its walls is the Avoca Terrace café, where you can indulge yourself with artisan treats and beautifully prepared food.

But there’s more to County Wicklow than Powerscourt Estate. Named as the Garden of Ireland, there’s something for everyone in this beautiful county. If you don’t want to travel too far, why not visit one of Ireland’s highest waterfalls, Powerscourt Waterfall? There are no footpaths from the estate to the waterfall, so it's best to drive there. Nestled at the foot of the Wicklow mountains, the waterfall is a staggering 121m (398ft) tall. You’re welcome to picnic there when the weather is nice, but be careful of the animals in the area as this is a haven for wildlife!

The beauty of County Wicklow can really be seen on the Wicklow Way Walking trail. This 127km walk starts in south Dublin and winds its way all through Wicklow, before finally stopping in County Carlow. But you can join the trail at any time as these are all self-guided. Choose your own adventure, and take in the landscapes that Ireland is famous for.

When you’ve become one with nature, why not treat yourself to a spa day at Rainforest Wellness Spa? With a number of beauty and spa treatments, your aching muscles will be a thing of the past, as you find peace in your tranquil and serene surroundings.

Can our Community members recommend any other places to visit in County Wicklow?

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 23 Apr 2019 10:45 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hello!

To the whiskey lovers I suggest the newly built Powerscourt Distillery, the distillery Visitor Centre will open to the visitors very soon, probably in May 2019.  

Glendalough, an important ancient monastic city, where the scenic beauty of the valley of the two lakes offers also seven different scenic walking trails, it is the most famous visitor site, a must.

To the landscape lovers, I suggest the road from Laragh through Glenmacnass Waterfall, Sally Gap till the Guinness Lake.

To the lovers of the Ancient Time the passage grave of Seefin and/or the late bronze age circle of stones called The Piper's Stone. 

To the nature walkers the walks in the Avondale Estate along the Avonmore and the Avonbeg rivers till where they meet at Meetings
to the Waters. 

To the sea lovers the sandy beach Brittas Bay. 

And to the lovers of gardens the Mount Usher Gardens in Ashford.

Profile Picture
Posted Sun 9 Jun 2019 9:47 PM
View Quick Profile
you may be interested in a free garden visit app detailing gardens to visit throughout Ireland 
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.totalgardensireland.map&fbclid=IwAR2GT9UCYBiMgI0-1sS_xt9XlWXn8nzHivdIJBSPui6BpFDLUaSXpM1QRww