Driving the Burren

Driving the Burren

Author
Posted Thu 4 Apr 2019 6:52 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Looking to get the best views! Which is better driving north on R479 or south?
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 5 Apr 2019 7:28 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
The R479 is a small section of the coastal road in County Clare between Doolin and Ballinalacken Castle.  It is probably the least scenic part of that road along the Clare coast because you're a bit inland from the sea.  It really doesn't make a lot of difference which direction you drive that section of the road

HOWEVER if you're enquiring about the full burren coastal road that goes from Doolin to Kinvarra which incorporates the R479,R477 and N67.. I'd say the following.

Remembering you're on the WEST coast of ireland .. and fingers crossed for a sunny day .. if you travel from Doolin to Kinvarra south to north (and do it before 3pm) the sun will be behind you and the views likely to be better and clearer than if you travel the other direction.  This applies moreso in the winter months when the afternoon sun can be lower in the sky and makes driving less fun.
Another factor is that travelling in this direction the passenger in the car will be on the left (west) side with the best views of the scenery while the driver keeps their eyes on the road (as it can be quite narrow, winding and peppered with tour buses!!)
https://goo.gl/maps/Q77sdagX4Fr

The only reasons to do it in the other direction are 
1. In the very early in the morning the easterly sun probably gives slightly better light if travelling the road from north to south before 10am
2. If you're in Galway and heading south in your overall travel plans it really is pointless to drive 90 minutes south on the motorway and roads from Galway to Doolin via Ennis just to approach this road from the south, spend another 2 hours driving back north to have to repeat the trip south.

Overall it’s a scenic road and driving in either direction does not make a massive difference but the south to north wins in my opinion in terms of the passengers in the car having a better view to the west and the sun in your eyes in the late afternoon.
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 8 Apr 2019 11:25 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hello Vicky,

It's so exciting that you're planning on exploring The Burren! Do you know what time of year you would like to visit? :)

Eoin has already provided you with some amazing and helpful insider tips for your road trip, and I have collected a few other threads for you below which I think might come in handy:

What else do you have in mind for your trip? Is there anything you absolutely wouldn't want to miss while you're here?

I hope you'll receive more tips and recommendations from our other members and experts, and please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any questions!

Warm regards,

Melin
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 9 Apr 2019 5:11 PM
View Quick Profile
Industry Member
Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)Industry Member (19.9K reputation)
Gold Achievements 3 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 26
Ireland
Group: Approved Community Member Last Active: Tue 1 Feb 2022 1:58 PM Visits: 833
Hi Vicky
Between Eoin and Melin, you've  been given some great advice - really love the detail on Eoin's for maximum sun benefits!

This is a link to a terrific website on the Burren by the Burren Ecotourism Network, it highlights all the things you might want to experience in the area while you are here.
And this video will certainly whet your appetite for more :)

Enjoy your stay!
All the best
Joan

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 11 Apr 2019 3:23 PM
View Quick Profile
Forum Guru
Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)Forum Guru (1.1K reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 10
Waterville, Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 16 Jun 2022 7:06 AM Visits: 36
vicky - that comment on the sun by Eoin is spot on! Where the sun is, as you're driving, is so crucial.  Do take his comment seriously! 

While you're in the Burren if you like chocolate - Hazel Mountain Chocolate is a really nice stop.  

EkoTree (in Doolin) makes amazing wool products.  They have very high end wool and it shows. I'm wearing my cashmere neck wrap right now......ooooh it's amazing.  His gallery/studio/whatever he calls it is first rate.  All made in Ireland, not a huge production line - amazing stuff.

If you're into it - you can go fishing off the cliffs! I did it at sunset, next to the Cliffs of Moher, and we cooked the mackerel for dinner. Divine!

Susan
ExPat in Waterville