I’m visiting Hook Lighthouse, but what else can I do in County Wexford?

I’m visiting Hook Lighthouse, but what else can I do in County...

Author
Posted Thu 11 Apr 2019 8:35 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Reportedly the oldest lighthouse in the world, Hook lighthouse in County Wexford is a sight to behold. Located on the Hook Head Peninsula, this 800-year-old lighthouse can be traced all the way back to the 5th century when Welsh monk, St Dubhan, would light a beacon to warn of possible shipwrecks for sailors.

The famous black and white column that you see today was built by the Knight William Marshall, who was also involved in the construction of Kilkenny Castle and Tintern Abbey. Now visitors can walk up the 115 well-worn steps of the lighthouse tower and see a life-sized hologram of St Dubhan, as well as climb to the top and admire the 360 degree views of the sunny southeast coastline.

But that’s not all that County Wexford has to offer. Why not visit one of the most haunted places in the country, Loftus Hall? Explore the grounds and rooms by guided tour, and learn all about the disturbing history and stories that surround it. It is said that devil himself paid a visit, whereupon the daughter of the lord residing there discovered his cloven hooves and descended into madness at the sight. Since then, strange sights and sounds have been reported by visitors, and many still feel an eerie presence in the rooms…

But if the paranormal isn’t your thing, why not try a relaxing stay at Monart Spa? This luxurious resort is located in the lush countryside just outside of Enniscorthy, and is the only spa destination in Ireland to receive a five-star rating. Not only that but it was voted by Condé Nast as one of the top three spa resorts in the world!

And that’s not all that County Wexford has to offer. The breathtaking scenery of County Wexford means that it has served as a backdrop to award-winning films as well! The opening scenes of Saving Private Ryan were filmed on Curracloe beach. With its golden sands and crystal clear waters, Steven Spielberg knew that he had found somewhere special when he found Curracloe. Not only that, the nearby town of Enniscorthy was the backdrop for the film Brooklyn! Taking us back to 1950s Ireland, Saoirse Ronan earned herself an Oscar nomination for her spellbinding performance.

Home to award-winning beaches and legendary history, a trip to County Wexford is an unforgettable experience.

Can our Community members recommend any other places to visit in County Wexford?

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 22 Apr 2019 2:45 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Céad mìle Fàilte, first let me introduce myself :
my name is Antonella, I am a Fàilte Ireland approved National Tour Guide based in the sunny Ancient East of Ireland, in Co. Wexford. Let me say, Hook Lighthouse, it is a major attraction but the County has lot to offer!
From Hook Lighthouse a short drive direction New Ross will show you the sandy Dollar Bay Beach, the ruins of Dunbrody Abbey and the JFK Arboretum, do not forget New Ross is the Kennedy Homestead!
In the county there are 15 beautiful Gardens to visit, for reference http://www.wexfordgardentrail.com
In October Gorey town will celebrate the 400th anniversary. (1619-2019), Ballymoney has beaches, Courtown has trees
by the sea.
Enniscorthy has an anglo-norman Castle, an imposing Cathedral, designed by Augustus Welby Pugin and the 1798
Rebellion Centre. A film "Brooklyn" was filmed in Enniscorthy, with the Irish actress Saoirse Ronan, based on the novel
author Colm Toibin. 
Fern was a very important centre during Norman time and there you can visit the impressive ruins of the Castle.
We have a marvellous coastline with many sandy beaches:  Cahore Point, with the Tudor Gothic style Castle, Ballygarrett village has the Old Bawn Beach, one of the best natural beach and the Wexford Wildfowl Reserve, a wild bird reserve. 
The fishing village of Kilmore  Quay offer a very good selection of seafood, boat trips to Saltee Island, scenic sea walks
and vernacular old traditional Irish thatched cottages.