Dublin to Doolin travel options

Dublin to Doolin travel options

Author
Posted Fri 28 Jun 2019 8:03 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Hi all,
What is the best option getting from Dublin to Doolin?
Cheers
Ronnie

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 28 Jun 2019 10:24 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Ronnie, 

How lovely to see that you're planning a trip to Doolin! There are several options on how to get there, besides renting a car and driving there yourself. 

If you would like to travel by public transportation, I suggest travelling to Galway first, either by bus or by train, and from there hop on Bus Éireann line 350 to Doolin. The whole trip will take around 4 hours and 50 minutes in total. 

If you book your tickets at least 48 hours before departure, you usually have a chance of lower fares as well. :) When are you planning on visiting, and is there anything in particular that you would like to see or do while you're here?

I'm always here if there is anything else you'd like to know! :)

Profile Picture
Posted Fri 28 Jun 2019 10:48 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Melin,

My wife and I are arriving 24th December and flying back to Johannesburg 5th January. I am still in the process of planning things with a limited budget as well. But I have to see the Cliffs of Moher so thought staying in Doolin for about 2 or 3 nights would be nice. My birthday is on 31st Dec so might go over that period.
My brother is visiting Ireland as well but he and his girlfriend (Ireland local) want to spend New Years in Dingle... so I still have to make up my mind what I want to do and when :-) Also, Dingle is difficult when it comes to transport.
I can stay at my cousin's house in Brockag/Blackwood to save accomodation costs as well. Ideally a car for 12 days would be perfect but it is quite heavy on my budget.
Wicklow mountains is also a must, Dublin itself of course (have been there many many years ago for a weekend while living and working in London).... other wise the rest I will figure out as I go :-)
thanks for the feedback :-)

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 1 Jul 2019 10:31 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Island of Ireland
Hi Ronnie, 

How lovely to see that you'll be here during the Christmas period, and you'll be celebrating your birthday on New Year's Eve with us! Your itinerary so far sounds wonderful, and it's great that you have family here. 

Staying in Doolin is a great idea if you're planning on seeing the Cliffs of Moher, since you'll be nearby and can easily travel there by bus. The Cliffs of Moher visitor centre is open all year round except during Christmas (24th, 25th and 26th of December) so make sure to plan your visit around that. If you have the time, I highly recommend a trip to The Burren as well. :)  

Is there anything in particular in Dingle you'd like to do on your birthday? I'd also be more than happy to help you find transportation!

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 1 Jul 2019 12:09 PM
View Quick Profile
HI Melin
My brother's girlfriend actually suggested dingle for new years, so other than that I would never have thought of it.
What would be the best way to travel to Dingle from Dublin?

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 2 Jul 2019 10:25 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hi Ronnie, 

There are loads of lovely New Years celebrations all around the island, and in Dingle they usually have a New Years Festival. Keep an eye on the official Dingle Peninsula page for more announcements about the upcoming festivities.  

Depending on when you are travelling (the holiday schedule usually resembles the Sunday timetable) you can either travel by bus, or a combination of the bus and train. Take a look at the options via the Transport of Ireland page. It will take between 6 hours and 15 minutes and 7 hours in total. Would this be an option? You could even take the trip in parts :)

Let me know if there is anything else you'd like to know! 

Profile Picture
Posted Tue 8 Oct 2019 10:21 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Melin,
So plans are as follows... arrive in Ireland 24th Dec and go to Doolin for 4 nights to relax and explore the area and cliffs.
Then drive to Wicklow mountains for 2 nights, then to Dingle for 3 nights. Last 3 nights will be in Dublin.
I only thought about the weather conditions now in Wicklow.... will we still be able to drive around in late Dec and see much? Will there be too much fog etc?
I know the Cliffs of Moher visitor centre is closed while we will be there but we do not mind just walking along the cliffs.
Thanks
Ronnie :-)

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 9 Oct 2019 10:14 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hi Ronnie, 

It's so good to see your plans are coming together! :) Staying in Doolin for 4 nights is a lovely idea, and a great way to relax during the holidays. 

Your itinerary looks wonderful, and I'm sure that even when there is fog, the Wicklow mountains will be beautiful. It's a great place all year round, and if you want to keep an eye on the weather in the area, the Met Éireann page is super helpful. There might be some fog early in the morning, but usually this clears up as the day progresses. 

Winter is my personal favourite season to explore the island, and it's lovely to warm up in a cosy pub afterwards. :) Make sure to wrap up warm, especially when you're at the Cliffs! 

Keep us posted on your adventures, and we're always here if you have any questions!

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 9 Oct 2019 10:23 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Melin

December cannot come fast enough! :-)
Thanks very much for the info, appreciate it :-)

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 10 Oct 2019 11:00 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Melin
Is there anywhere to park near the cliffs that don't require payment?