Dublin to Doolin travel options

Dublin to Doolin travel options

Author
Posted Fri 11 Oct 2019 2:31 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Ronnie! 

It's not completely free, but for €2,- you can park near Hag’s Head, the most southerly point of the cliffs. From there it's about a ten minute walk to the cliffs. It has some wonderful views, but make sure to wear good shoes, because the path can get slippery in the winter months. :)
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 14 Oct 2019 6:14 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thanks Melin :-)

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 14 Oct 2019 10:07 AM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55.2K reputation)
Island of Ireland
No problem, Ronnie! :) Let me know if you have any questions, and keep us posted on your plans. 
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 17 Oct 2019 12:13 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Hi Melin
I have been told that a South African driving licence is acceptable to hire a car. IF the licence expires 11th January is this an issue?
I plan to hire a car from 24th Dec until 30th December.
Sorry, its not a question related to travel but thought I would ask...
Thanks

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 17 Oct 2019 12:58 PM
View Quick Profile
Hello Ronnie,

It's great that you're planning on hiring a car for your trip!

With regard to the renting of cars in Ireland, license requirements and length of full license will vary and all car rental companies will feature the information in the Terms and Conditions section of their website, which I’m sure you have found out already.

You can find more information, and a complete overview of all tourist board approved rental companies on the Car Rental Council of Ireland page.

Also, there is another helpful thread called 'Rental Car Requirements' which I think might come in handy. 

Which companies have you looked at so far?

Hope this helps, and let me know if you have any questions! :)

Best wishes,
Romina

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 17 Oct 2019 1:37 PM
View Quick Profile
HI Romina
thanks for the reply. I am actually going to hire a car through British Airways under my booking as it seems to be cheaper than going direct to a car hire company. I am not sure who BA use though...

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 17 Oct 2019 6:06 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Member
Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)Community Member (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 19
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Thu 4 May 2023 12:42 PM Visits: 1.6K
Hi Ronnie,

Thank you for keeping us updated about your plans! It's such a pleasure to hear how your trip is coming together and I'm thrilled to see so many members of the community banding together to make it perfect.

At this time, however, it might be best to reach out to your airline. They'd be best able to provide you with information concerning where their rentals come from and answer any additional questions that you might have. Please do feel free to pop by with those answers, it'd be very interesting to learn more about this process.

If you have any more questions, I'm sure everyone here would be happy to jump in with more tips, tricks, and advice.
Profile Picture
Posted Sun 17 Nov 2019 6:51 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
Hello again, Ronnie! Were you able to arrange everything with the car rental company for your upcoming trip in December? :)
Profile Picture
Posted Mon 18 Nov 2019 6:16 AM
View Quick Profile
Hi Melin,
Sorry for not replying sooner :-)
I have found out prices for a car hire and will be booking soon.
As the plans, we are going to Doolin for 4 nights, then Wicklow mountains for 2 nights, then Dingle 3 nights over New Years, then the last 3 nights in Dublin :-)

Profile Picture
Posted Mon 18 Nov 2019 2:24 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Island of Ireland
I'm so happy all of your plans have come together, and it's very exciting you'll be here so soon! Your itinerary looks lovely. You'll have loads of time to explore every area without having to hurry. :) 

Thanks again for your reply, and keep us posted on your adventures!