Bus Eireann problems booking

Bus Eireann problems booking

Author
Posted Wed 3 Jul 2019 4:50 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
I am trying to book online tickets for the bus. I understand from lengthy back and forth with Customer Care agent that specific seats or even buses can not be reserved, rather one can only book a ticket for a specific day. However, when I enter the date I want to travel, a couple of screens later -- before payment section -- the date changes to the previous day. I have played around with a few dates just to make sure the problem is not with the specific two dates I am interested in.  The Customer Care agent suggests that "I change the date on my computer" in order to perhaps get the date I want.  In general this agent has provided a min. of info. about anything, and the whole process has been frustrating.

I do not want to end up in Ireland with no guaranteed bus seats during my vacation, so I am wondering if anyone has come up against this problem and got around it? I could take the train Cork-Dublin, but would have to take bus anyway Skibbereen-Cork beforehand, and would prefer not to have to switch stations, and would like everything on one ticket in case first bus late, etc. 

Thanks!

Profile Picture
Posted Wed 3 Jul 2019 7:49 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)Community Expert (5.4K reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 3 Bronze Achievements 13
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Sun 7 Aug 2022 10:39 AM Visits: 689
Hi Celeste,
I can't make comment on the issues with the booking system, only Bus Eirann can help you with that one.
What I can tell you though is there are very rarely issues getting a seat on buses in Ireland. I have frequently travelled the length and breadth of the island on both buses and trains for the past 20 years and in that time I have seen 2 full buses. On both occasions, this delayed me less than an hour as another one came along pretty quickly. While I wouldn't suggest you do the same, I have never even bothered to make a booking prior to the trip.

What I am trying to express is that you would be incredibly unlikely to find yourself waiting on an alternative bus.

As for getting around this booking issue, If you are unable to book your tickets online, you can make bookings over the phone
+353 1 836 6111 from outside Ireland.
1850 836 611 from inside Ireland.

I hope this info is useful for you.
Gordee

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 4 Jul 2019 3:15 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
Thanks Gordon. Your info is helpful and somewhat reassuring, but I would prefer peace of mind and not having to spend vacation time on line buying tickets! Why a national transportation website doesn't work is beyond me. I am going to look into the train and private bus companies.
Profile Picture
Posted Thu 4 Jul 2019 9:02 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: 2 days ago @ 12:10 PM Visits: 13.3K
We can understand it is frustrating when a website doesn't play ball the way it should do!

Your trip from Skibbereen does indeed involve a change at Cork, so whether you decide on the bus all the way or change to the train really depends on the timings and costs involved. Once in Cork, Air Coach service 704X to Dublin is an alternative and can be booked online for a guaranteed seat. Irish Rail also has a booking online service for the Cork to Dublin route, well worth a look too.

We have an article page on Public Transport that you may wish to have a look at. There are details of some of the main suppliers and also a link to Transport for Ireland who has a super journey planner that can be very helpful with alternative provider information.

We hope this helps with your journey, there are several scheduled service times from Skibbereen to Cork and as my colleague Gordee mentioned, it would be very rare to find a completely full bus even in the busiest of times.

Please let us know what you decide on and that you complete your journey without any issues.

Martin

Profile Picture
Posted Thu 26 Sep 2019 5:11 PM
View Quick Profile
Ireland Advocate
Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)Ireland Advocate (55K reputation)
Gold Achievements 7 Silver Achievements 7 Bronze Achievements 31
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 6 May 2022 11:20 AM Visits: 16.5K
Hi Celeste, I'm just checking in to see if everything got sorted with your public transport tickets. Have you been over to visit us yet? :)