I love cycling, and can't wait to explore when I visit. Where can I find the best cycling trails?

I love cycling, and can't wait to explore when I visit. Where can I...

Author
Posted Wed 24 Jul 2019 9:01 AM
View Quick Profile
New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)New Member (0 reputation)
Group: [0] Last Active: - Visits: 0
If you want to explore the hidden trails on the island of Ireland, or just get closer to nature, then there’s no better way to do so than on Ireland’s cycling trails. Traverse wild country lanes and heather-clad mountains, and enjoy the views that unfold before you…

If you’re looking for a real off-the-beaten-track experience, then the first route you have to try is the Kingfisher Trail. With wild country lanes relatively free of traffic, this trail falls naturally into a figure eight. The southern loop takes you along the River Shannon and around the wonderful County Leitrim, while the northern loop is a beautiful highlight tour of County Fermanagh. Cycle by the tranquil Upper and Lower Lough Erne and admire the grand Florence Court and Crom Estate as you take the slow road.

Head to County Waterford and you’ll find the spectacular 46km Waterford Greenway. This route is entirely car-free, so you can cycle, run or even walk the dog along this old railway line from Waterford city to Dungarvan. Bring your own bike, or rent one in Waterford city, and away you go. Cycle along the Greenway over three viaducts and admire the unspoiled stretch of the Copper Coast Geopark.

For something a little wilder, try the heather-clad hills of the Mourne Mountains. The inspiration behind CS Lewis’s magical world of Narnia, these majestic peaks have plenty of cycle routes for you to tackle. Starting and ending in the charming town of Rostrevor, try the 27km Rostrevor route. It does have some steep sections, but the views of Rostrevor Forest, the Mourne Mountains, and Carlingford Lough are simply sublime.

Or, if you’re feeling up to the challenge, try the off-road cycling and walking trail along the Wild Atlantic Way. The Great Western Greenway is roughly 42km, but this is a trail jam-packed with breathtaking views and glorious bays. Cycle through historic towns, including Westport, and seaside villages like Mulranny, while admiring the fantastic scenery along the way.

Can our Community members recommend any other cycling trails on the island of Ireland?

Tags