Reask

Reask

Author
Posted Mon 2 Jan 2023 11:29 PM
View Quick Profile
Gaining Respect
Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)Gaining Respect (172 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 1 Bronze Achievements 6
Group: Community Member Last Active: Mon 2 Jan 2023 11:28 PM Visits: 2
My Grandfather's place of birth is listed as Reask. I do not see that on any map. When I do a search nothing comes up. I know it is in County Mayo.
Profile Picture
Posted Tue 3 Jan 2023 9:36 AM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)Community Expert (70.2K reputation)
Gold Achievements 4 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 28
Island of Ireland
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 17 Apr 2024 8:17 AM Visits: 13.3K
Hello James,

Thanks for joining us here with your question about looking into your ancestry!

There are a couple of existing posts on the community already in our Ireland Family History section offering hints and tips on how to go about finding your family, so please check them out if you haven't already. :)

A quick search on Townlands reveals that there are 9 towns called Reask, one of which is in County Mayo near Knock. So the question becomes when would your grandfather have been born or lived in Reask as this will determine where to look.

Before 1864 records were kept in the form of church and parish records, all the surviving records have been sorted into county-based genealogical centres. In 1864 civil registration was introduced in Ireland, which is when we started seeing the formal registration of births, marriages, adoptions, and deaths. These records have been kept at the General Register Office of Ireland(GRO), through the Irish Genealogy website, to this day. 

What information do you have such as birth, death, or marriage certificates that gives the location as Reask, County Mayo?