I heard Cork city is full of amazing museums and I don't know where to start! Which would you...

I heard Cork city is full of amazing museums and I don't know where to...

Author
Posted Wed 4 Jan 2023 2:39 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Wed 1 May 2024 9:31 AM Visits: 691
Cork has 15 different choices for museums and historical sites to visit. 

To explore education and community in Cork, visit Nano Nagle Place. Here you can explore the museum, heritage rooms, gardens, and gift shops. The gardens are bursting with greenery and provide an oasis in the midst of a bustling city.

Jump back in time to 19th century Cork at Cork City Gaol. Visitors can take guided or self-guided tours. These tours explore the history of Cork from inside the gaol and learn what life was like as a prisoner back then. The gaol is brought to life by lifelike figures and replicas of accurate cells. The visit will be knowledgeable and fun. 

For an interesting and beautiful adventure, visit Crawford Art Gallery. This historic building is home to almost 4,000 pieces of art and hosts temporary exhibitions from internationally renowned artists. One of the most notable parts of the gallery is the collection of Greek and Roman sculpture casts. With free admission there is no reason to skip this gallery.

If a science-based visit sounds more fun, head over to Blackrock Castle Observatory. The tour features castle history, a star show, and the “Ireland in Space” exhibition. Astronomy lovers are sure to enjoy the star tour as constellations fill the room during the star show. The visit wraps up with a presentation in the planetarium that will captivate people of all ages. 

You can’t visit Cork’s museums without visiting The Butter Museum. This museum takes you through the history of butter-making as you explore objects related to this history. From old butter churns to bog butter, you will have tons to explore and a butter-making demonstration to wrap up the visit.
Tags