I know all about St Patrick, but what’s the story with St Brigid and how does she relate to spring?

I know all about St Patrick, but what’s the story with St Brigid and...

Author
Posted Fri 27 Jan 2023 2:33 PM
View Quick Profile
Community Expert
Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)Community Expert (264 reputation)
Gold Achievements 1 Silver Achievements 4 Bronze Achievements 14
Group: Community Moderator Last Active: Tue 19 Mar 2024 2:27 PM Visits: 640
Alongside St Patrick and St Columbus, St Brigid completes Ireland’s Holy Trinity of patron saints. Her prowess in performing miracles and her position of authority in the male-dominated church have made her something of a superhero. She’s also a welcome symbol of rebirth, and St Brigid’s Day, celebrated on 1 February and a Christianised version of the important pagan festival of Imbolc, marks the end of the long, dark winter and the arrival of spring in Ireland.

There are a number of traditions associated with St Brigid’s Day. Altars are decorated with items representing the saint such as white flowers, candles, milk, and corn husk dolls. People leave a cloth or scarf outside their homes to be blessed by St Brigid as she passed by. And probably the most famous of all is the St Brigid’s Cross – woven from rushes and hung above doors and windows every year to ward off evil forces.

St Brigid remains popular in Ireland and beginning this year, the first Monday of February will be recognised as a public holiday for the Republic of Ireland. This is a lovely time to visit the island and experience the countryside awakening from its winter sleep.

As the frost melts, take the opportunity to get outside for a stroll around Kildare – the county where Brigid founded a centre of learning and religion. You could perhaps visit one of the many holy wells attributed to her, including a healing well situated where her double monastery once stood in Kildare town. Another well can be found just outside of the town at the Irish National Stud and Gardens.

You’ll want to stay close by Kildare town so that you don’t miss out on St Brigid’s Festival (Féile Bríde). There you have the opportunity to try your hand at cross weaving, join a sacred dance circle, or listen to the annual Celtic lecture, among many more exciting experiences hosted by the Solas Bhride Centre.

All year round, you can visit St Brigid’s Cathedral. Although nothing remains of the early monastic settlement, this remarkable ecclesiastical site features rich history and impressive architecture – in particular, the life of St Brigid captured in stained glass on the west window, alongside the rest of Ireland’s Holy Trinity.
Tags
Profile Picture
Posted Fri 9 Jun 2023 9:09 PM
View Quick Profile
New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)New Member (1 reputation)
Gold Achievements 0 Silver Achievements 0 Bronze Achievements 3
Group: Community Member Last Active: Fri 9 Jun 2023 9:09 PM Visits: 144
My wife and I will be visiting Ireland Sept 5-18. We have a hotel in Dublin for the first 3 nights. Then we want to take off by auto and travel wherever seems interesting to us. We rather not have to jump from hotel to hotel on a fixed schedule with advanced reservations. 
We are both 80 and I am slightly handicapped and require a scooter or an upright walker to get around. 
Would the tourist office be able to help us find last-minute accommodations?
Appreciate any help or advice.